The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe position has overall responsibility for organizational issuance of payments and collections for the National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA).
Reporting to the Deputy Director, Finance and Accounting, the Accountant will oversee day-to-day operations and activities of the Accounting department as well as the Accounts Clerk. The Accountant is responsible for functions related to the collection, accuracy, recording, analysis and presentation of the organization’s financial operations. Additionally, the Accountant will offer support with Pay-for-Performance management, premium payments, fraud investigations, along with other financial and workforce management functions.
The Accountant will build relationships with peers and other stakeholders across the organization to create opportunities for integration and synergy.
- Responsible for all general accounting duties including asset, liability and capital account entries, analysis and compilation of information.
- Manages general ledger, including the maintenance of the chart of accounts and the processing of journal entries, allocations, period end adjustments (e.g., accruals, currency conversions), and intercompany transactions
- Reconciles general ledger accounts, prepare trial balances, and prepare and post accounting adjustments.
- Records financial transactions and actions and summarizes financial status by preparing balance sheets, profit and loss statements, and other reports as necessary.
- Manages accounts receivable and accounts payable, documenting and processing invoices, and ensuring timely payment to vendors.
- Manages and track inventory and fixed assets providing detailed reports where necessary.
- Records fixed-asset additions, retirements, depreciation, maintenance and repair expenses, enhancements, revaluations, transfers, and adjustments.
- Manages day-to-day payroll accounting, including earnings and deductions, and maintaining a strong relationship with the Human Resources branch in the performance of the payroll function, ensuring appropriate controls and information flow.
- Provides input to financial policy development as well as treasury management procedures and policies.
- Provides advice and assistance with completing all necessary financial reporting and analysis.
Provider and Regulated Health Administrator (RHA) Management
- Issues and manages premium payments to RHAs are made in a timely and accurate manner.
- Issues and manages pay-for-performance payments for providers and RHAs are made in a timely and accurate manner.
Compliance and Quality Assurance
- Assists in completing fraud investigations where necessary and communicating findings to internal and external stakeholders.
Operational and Resource Management
- Manages day-to-day activities of the accounting branch.
- Establishes long and short-term strategies, goals and objectives for the branch.
- Leads process improvement initiatives and provides a senior level of counsel in the application of financial and accounting principles and protocols.
- Monitors resource utilization, identifying trends and addressing issues in the branch and the NHIA.
- Provides input to and manage the accounting branch operating budget, ensuring the implementation of approved business strategies.
- Has primary responsibility for the management of financial resources to established parameters.
- Has accountability with other branch members to ensure changes in principles and protocols are implemented.
System Transformation and Quality Assurance
- Resolves diverse staff and operational issues that impact accounting function, in line with goals of the NHIA.
- Exercises judgment on the more sensitive and broadly impacting decisions within the accounting department and escalates issues that are complex or sensitive
- Authorizes expenditures within budget allocated to all functional areas.
- Escalates issues that are complex or sensitive. Assesses industry best practices for applicability within accounting.
- Identifies and implements initiatives to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Identifies opportunities for cross-organizational opportunities.
- Monitors compliance with all provider, environmental, employment and labor standards and regulations.
- Oversees quality assurance of work performed within the accounting department.
People and Leadership
- Coaches and mentors staff, providing day-to-day direction, guidance, feedback and development opportunities.
- Evaluates the performance of accounting staff, taking remedial action as required.
- Authorizes actions for the acquisition, disciplining and termination of direct reports.
Partnerships and Stakeholder Management
- Consults with knowledge experts in other service areas to drive program strategies.
- Gauges stakeholder needs and service satisfaction levels.
- Represents internally NHI’s position at industry forums/meetings.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Minimum bachelor (undergraduate degree) or diploma/certificate in Accounting. Certified Professional Accountant (CPA) license required.
- Post-graduate degree preferred in Accounting or Finance.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in accounting.
- Demonstrates high integrity and ethical behavior
- Is respectful and supports diversity
- Is results- and action-oriented
- Has strong interpersonal skills
- Is a strong and effective communicator
- Demonstrates computer literacy
- Acts as a role model for values and code of conduct of organization