The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Assistant Beverage Manager
Job SummaryAssists the Beverage Manager in directing the daily operation of the vessel’s beverage operation.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in directing and ensuring the implementation and execution of Corporate policies and procedures within the Beverage Department.
- Is fully responsible for the overall training of the beverage team. Coaches and mentors direct reports and subordinates. Personally trains the Bartenders on the S-class and R-class ships and oversees the Bartenders’ training by the Head Bartender on the Vista ships. Identifies beverage staff for promotion. Reviews each and every rating card on a monthly basis.
- Assists Bar Manager in achieving or exceeding Bar Revenue and Cost objectives for the established cruise program targets. Assists in managing the beverage outlets as separate profit centers, assuming all responsibility for all revenue and expenses. Maximizes profitability by increasing turnover (revenue and covers). Ensures that department’s operational budget is strictly adhered to and that all costs are strictly controlled. Recommends measures to the Beverage Manager to control/reduce costs. Assists in planning an effective sales plan and promotional activities as required.
- Along with the Controller, ensures beverage inventories in storeroom and Bars are at the par level determined by the Company. Works closely with the Controller and Provision Master in regards to inventory taking, cost control, loading, ordering and storing under the guidance of the Bar Manager. Ensures that all bars are counted after each cruise and investigates discrepancies. Assures correct pouring of company sponsored parties and ensures proper void handling.
- Maintains all par stock levels, including china, glassware and consumables. Is responsible for the bar requisitions in designated areas. Oversees delivery and stocking at each outlet. Coordinates random bar audits. Responsible for breakage and spoilage in the bars.
- Assures beverage facilities are maintained at company standards and meet or exceed USPH requirements. In addition, inspects lounges and bars in respect to physical condition, equipment condition and presentation and ensures prompt repair and maintenance through proper use of job orders. Includes being responsible for and maintaining garbage separation guidelines. Causes to have daily temperature logs for refrigerators, glass washers and ice machines completed.
- Directs and coordinates the assignment, training and scheduling of beverage service personnel in accordance with operational requirements.
- Assists in planning and scheduling of private and company functions as required and prepares Party Sheets with detailed preparation and service information as a guideline for beverage staff to execute the function. Maintains open communication of key operational information at regular meetings. Is present at all functions to ensure proper mise en place and execution.
- Oversees and directs the opening and closing of the bars, sloppy joes, buffets, etc as required by the daily events schedule and adapts operations as needed to meet the demands of the actual guest flow.
- Assists on the floor, behind the bar if needed; is present at all events and shows.
- Monitors hot appetizer service.
- In coordination with the Beverage Manager, organizes preparations and decorations for special activities, sales events and promotions.
- Ensures that the correct pouring quantities are being poured, that recipes are followed and that all standards as set forth in the Mixology program are followed and maintained.
- Assists on any project as assigned by the Bar Manager or Corporate Office.
- Maintains all vessel records and forms as prescribed by company policies, manual and directives. Ensures that all reporting to the Bar Manager and Corporate Office is completed in a timely manner.
- Is responsible for the efficient running of the crew bars, ensuring cleanliness and good service at all opening times.
- On a daily basis makes an effort to check in with every member of the Beverage team and monitor the overall operation and mood of the team. Makes every effort to take an active interest in the team’s welfare, safety and development. Ensures that everyone has a complete understanding of all the vessel’s rules and regulations, including fire, health, hygiene and safety policies.
- Monitors grooming and personal hygiene of beverage crew members. Ensures that all staff report for duty punctually, wearing the correct uniform and name tags at all times. Ensures that the staff provide courteous and professional service at all times and that Company standards, as outlined in the Beverage Dept Operational Manual, are met.
- Represents the Beverage Manager in his/her absence.