The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Assistant Legal & Compliance Officer
Job SummaryThe University is seeking to recruit a suitable candidate for the position of Assistant Legal & Compliance Officer within the Legal Affairs Division.
The Assistant Legal & Compliance Officer provides support to the Legal Counsel & Compliance Officer on a range of legal issues relevant to the University including intellectual property rights, policies, briefs and contracts and compliance matters. He/she will also carry out research and prepare legal issues for the attention of the Legal Counsel, attend meetings of Council, Academic Board and other meetings as may be required. In addition, he/she may represent the University in various proceedings in the absence of the Legal Counsel & Compliance Officer.
The preferred applicant will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law or equivalent qualifications.
- Certificate of Legal Education.
- Practicing Certificate to practice in Jamaica.
- A minimum of three (3) years experience of legal and administrative work.
- Knowledge of the UTech Act, Ordinances, Regulations and Policies.
- Knowledge of Government procurement practices and procedures.
- Familiarity with the regulatory legislation relating to the particular activities of the University.
- Specialized knowledge of compliance and/or auditing.
- Familiar with contract laws and the preparation of documents for procurement.
- Knowledge and understanding of the structure and functions of Council and Academic Board.
- Knowledge of the principles and procedures of legal research.
- Knowledge of drafting and analyzing legal documents.
- Knowledge of legal compliance.
- Knowledge of collecting, compiling and utilizing technical information.
- Report writing skills.
- Excellent interviewing skills.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.