The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Business Operations Coordinator
Job SummaryThe incumbent is required to perform a variety of administrative and/or advanced secretarial support duties.
Duties include supervising and coordinating the work of staff performing clerical/secretarial and administrative support duties; assisting in the preparation of budgets for a Unit/Division and the training and guidance of subordinate staff. Depending on assignment, the incumbent may be required to perform some or the full range of the duties of this position.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises the work of employees performing a variety of routine to complex clerical/secretarial and administrative support duties by assigning and reviewing work and providing guidance.
- Trains and guides staff in performing work assignments.
- Manages and coordinates the arrangements for meetings, workshops, conferences and other similar events, both internally and externally, by providing logistical support including:
- Scheduling dates and arranging for air and ground transport;
- Arranging accommodation;
- Sourcing and reserving conference facilities;
- Preparing agenda and taking minutes/notes; and
- Following up the implementation of actions and decisions taken as required.
- Supervised and coordinates activites related to processing, maintaining and updating of manual and electronic correspondence, documents and databases and office support such as:
- Maintaining manual and electronic filing system/databases/libraries;
- Sorting, recording and routing all incoming correspondence and documents;
- Filing of correspondence and documents manually and electronically and;
- Independently assigning metadata to facilitate electronic searches;
- Dispatching outgoing correspondence, documents; and
- Providing photocopying, printing, scanning, faxing, binding and other office assistance support.
- Assists in the execution of the design, implementation and evaluation of the Division’s policies, projects and programmes; also assists in monitoring the work programmes of the Division to which assigned, follows up on actions to be taken and provides timely reminders on key deliverables.
- Assists in the preparation of budgetary estimates by obtaining relevant financial and other data for inclusion.
- Provides project management support such as identifying and managing resources to ensure project and system success.
- Coordinates arrangements for local and foreign travel, sources information on costs, develops cost proposals and justifications, plans and itinerary and makes ground transport arrangements, as necessary.
- Contributes to the creation of innovative procedures and policies as a means of improving Divisional and Ministry’s /Department’s work practices and arrangements.
- Prepares and/or guides the preparation of complex correspondence, reports and other documents, including Cabinet Notes.
- Maintains liaisons with other Divisions/Units to ensure that the needs of the Divisions/Units are met.
- Undertakes research and prepares justification for acquisition/procurement of stationery, books and other office supplies and equipment for the Division/Unit.
- Performs advanced secretarial support to senior managerial staff such as:
- Preparing and formatting documents from manuscript or dictation; and generating documents such as memoranda, letters, reports, tables and spreadsheets utilising word processing and other software;
- Reviewing and screening incoming correspondence, making preliminary assessment of importance, handling personally or forwarding to superior;
- Receiving and screening incoming calls and visitors, determining priority matters and notifying superior accordingly; and
- Coordinating and managing the superior’s calendar by arranging appointments and engagements.
- Performing other duties related to the core functions of the position.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience performing clerical/secretarial and administrative support duties, including a minimum of two (2) years at a supervisory level.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a recognised University Degree in the Social Sciences or a related area.
Required Competencies, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of office management principles and techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of relevant Public Service rules and regulations, instructions and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of relevant financial rules and regulations.
- Considerable knowledge of records and information management techniques.
- Knowledge of the principles of Public Administration.
- Knowledge of project management techniques.
- Some knowledge of Human Resource Management principles, procedures and practices.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Skill in the use of personal computers.
- Ability to use e-Government technology platforms.
- Ability to use the internet for research purposes.
- Ability to compose letters, memoranda, minutes and reports.
- Ability to plan and co-ordinate work programmes evaluate their effectiveness, prepare comprehensive reports and recommendations.
- Ability to direct and lead staff engaged in the performance of clerical/secretarial and administrative support functions.
- Ability to use a computer and other standard office machines such as photocopiers, scanners, facsimile machines.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to promote teamwork.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to interact positively with members of the public.
- Ability to use initiative to solve work related problems.