The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe Cellar Master directs the activities of Wine Attendants and Dining Room Stewards.
- Directs and ensures the implementation and execution of corporate policies and procedures within the Beverage Department as they relate to wine sales.
- Controls, measures and reports Wine Bar Outlet performance on a daily basis and takes required corrective action to ensure operations are in accordance with the company standards and objectives.
- Achieves or exceeds Bar Revenue and Cost objectives for the established cruise program targets. Creates new opportunities and maximizes existing ones to generate extra revenue. Recommends measures to control/reduce costs and ensures that the operational cost budgets are strictly adhered to.
- Develops and recommends merchandising and promotional programs to maximize Wine Sales and Service objectives for established cruise program targets. Identifies market needs and trends, creates concepts and communicates these to the Beverage Manager. Monitors product movement onboard and special offers. Plans and implements an effective sales plan and promotional activities in each wine outlet.
- Works closely with the Controller and Provision Master in regards to inventory taking, cost control, loading, ordering and storing of wines. Follows proper accounting procedures, requisitions, transfers and reconciliation of daily wine sales.
- Verifies delivery of prepaid wine orders to staterooms and coordinates the service thereof in the dining room.
- Oversees voiding, checking any discrepancies. Is fully responsible for posting of gift orders, pre-ordered wines and parties (company’s and guests’).
- Responsible for achieving and exceeding guest satisfaction standards and rating for wine services consistent with company goals. Personally gets involved with handling guest concerns. Introduces him/herself to VIP’s and Suite guests within 24 hours of boarding. Identifies wine drinkers and wine lovers early in the cruise and guides Wine Attendants & Dining Room Stewards to make good recommendations and practice up-selling.
- Directs and coordinates the assignment and scheduling of wine attendants in accordance with operational requirements.
- Plans (along with other departments) and schedules wine related functions as required while following up on Party Sheets with detailed preparation and service information as a guideline for beverage staff to execute the function. Maintains open communication of key operational information at regular meetings. Is present at all functions to ensure proper mise en place and execution.
- Carries out wine tastings, seminars, spirits & cigar tastings etc. Works closely with Culinary team on wine and food pairing dinners and special events.
- Assists in the dining room during opening hours; serving VIP’s & Captain’s Tables, plus oversees the wine service in the alternate dining areas. Ensures proper mise en place in all areas.
- Fully in charge of wine displays and pre-order tables.
- Assists on any project as assigned by the Beverage Manager or Corporate Office.
- Ensures that all reporting to the Beverage Manager and Corporate Office is completed in a timely manner.
- Attends daily operational meeting with Beverage Department management if required. Attends daily menu briefing by the Chef and ensures all Wine Attendants are present, followed by a briefing by the Cellar Master or Beverage Manager. Attends weekly beverage staff meetings.
- On a daily basis makes an effort to check in with every member of the wine service team and monitors their overall operation and mood.
- Is responsible for the overall training of the Wine attendants, Dining Room stewards, as well as the bar staff. Training should include – but is not limited to - wine knowledge, spirits knowledge, product knowledge, selling techniques, pouring styles, correct wine service, customer service and the art of upselling. Develops and implements training programs.
- Provides periodic feedback on wine attendants to the Beverage Manager. Creates realistic goals and sets objectives for the team and follows up. Promotes innovation and change.