The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Director of Public Relations
Job SummaryThe University of the Virgin Islands (UVI) seeks a dynamic and proven Director of Public Relations
The University of the Virgin Islands (UVI) seeks a dynamic and proven Director of Public Relations to work with the University’s leadership to market UVI’s excellence and successes through strong, focused print, electronic & online/social media relations programs and outreach efforts at the local, regional, national and international level; play a lead role in crisis communication and issues management; and serve as an official University spokesperson.
Under the leadership of the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, the Director of Public Relations is responsible for marketing, public relations, web presence and media relations. As a member of the Office of Public Relations, this person will work in concert with colleagues on comprehensive programs that advance institutional goals, and will manage the staff, budget, and work products of the Office of Public Relations. This individual will also provide communications counsel to the University President and to University leadership, while enhancing the University’s success through a proactive and reactive communications strategy. The Director of PR continually monitors UVI events and accomplishments.
As lead University publicist, the Director of Public Relations manages the development and distribution of University publications. The Director of Public Relations has oversight over the University’s brand. The Director of PR will build and protect the University’s brand position and identity, by providing consult on brand marketing, coordinating with the media and vendors, and managing university-wide publications and other collateral materials before printing. The Director of Public Relations has oversight for the University’s website, internet presence, and strategies to leverage new and emerging technologies to reach internal audiences, while supporting recruitment and retention, community outreach, alumni & donor communications, etc. The Director of Public Relations is required to market and coordinate media relations for campus events. The Director of Public Relations will oversee departmental customer service standards established by the Institutional Advancement component.
The Director of PR will monitor and research stakeholder opinions to maintain and promote the positive image of the University.
Other duties as assigned by the VP for Institutional Advancement.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or related field and a minimum of 7 years of Public Relations experience are required.
- Must possess previous experience supervising and mentoring employees.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and written & verbal communication skills, including expertise in AP style.
- Ability to anticipate issues, provide timely advice, provide counsel and critical analysis to senior leadership on continuing and emergent issues, and lead initiatives with positive impact.
- Experience with a proven track record in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience within a higher education environment is highly desirable.
- Cultivate and maintain a robust network of national and/or international media contacts.
- Think strategically and excel at creating original ideas and executing initiatives efficiently and effectively.
- Proactively identify and promote the University’s successes, impactful programs and initiatives.
- Experience with comprehensive brand development for a non-profit, corporation or college/university.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing, both internally and externally.
- Possess strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize work duties, handle multiple tasks, and meet tight deadlines.
- Integrate Public Relations functions to support advertising and marketing goals.
- Manage and foster an integrated team work environment.
- Conduct market research to determine the University’s positioning, trends, and customer needs.
- Utilize market research data to develop publications and other materials for recruitment and retention.
- Excel in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and able to take a positive team approach to working with internal and external partners;
- Strong knowledge of desktop publishing software and Microsoft Office products, including Word Excel, and Power Point.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Provide oversight for the University’s internet presence by creating strategies to promote UVI’s website, social media and new media.
- A good sense of humor is a must.
- Work schedule may include evenings, weekends, and on-call responsibilities.
- A Master’s degree
While performing duties of job, employee will be required to stand, walk, and sit for long periods of time. Specific visual abilities by the job include close, distance and color vision and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment will probably be moderate.