The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Director, Roads and Minor Water Supplies (SOG/ST 8)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified individuals to fill the post of Director, Roads and Minor Water Supplies (SOG/ST 8) in the Ministry of Local Government and Community Development.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Technical Services and Major Projects, the incumbent is responsible for ensuring that all programmes/projects in relation to roads rehabilitation, infrastructure development and minor water supplies in respect of the Ministry, Agencies and Local Authorities are implemented and monitored for effective management and high quality in keeping with the Ministry’s objectives.
- Provides technical expertise to the Parish Infrastructure Development Programmes and assist in the monitoring of work carried out for the contract period;
- Examines approved plan to ensure that the designs meet the necessary criteria;
- In collaboration with the Works Overseer, provides regular supervision of Contractors to ensure that work progress is in keeping with contract period;
- Prepares specification and procuring equipment for use in the development of programmes;
- Conducts feasibility studies on Parochial Roads and Street Lighting;
- Prepares monthly reports on all projects;
- Participates in the implementation of infrastructural projects financed by lending agencies (IDB, UNDP, USAID & EU) and other external sources;
- Assists with the preparation of project proposal for funding by multi-lateral agencies;
- Conducts periodic evaluation and prepares progress reports;
- Provides technical assistance in assessing damages to roads, drainage and other structures caused by hurricanes, floods or any other natural disaster;
- Provides technical advice and ensure that mechanisms are in place to rehabilitate the affected areas;
- Establishes a schedule for the rehabilitation of quality roads island-wide and ensures that the work is carried out according to the required specifications;
- Establishes priority programmes and provides the technical expertise to carry out the work throughout the Local Authorities;
- Assists with institutional strengthening within the technical departments of KSAC, and the twelve (12) Parish Councils;
- Recommends for approval the monthly programmes submitted by the Local Authorities;
- Provides technical advice on traffic management in Local Authorities;
- Provides technical services to the Local Authorities in the upgrading of Minor Water Supplies Systems and supervises the rehabilitative work;
- Advises on methods for chlorinating and filtering of the Rain Water Catchment Tanks;
- Ensures that the rehabilitation of the wayside steel tanks are conducted periodically to improve the facilities for residents across the island;
- Facilitates the designs and supervises the rehabilitation of entombed springs;
- Ensures the inspection of pipelines for leaks/damages;
- Develops and prepares technical policies for the implementation within the Ministry, its Agencies and Local Authorities;
- Prepares manuals on the maintenance and operations for the construction of roads;
- Participates in developing training programmes for both technical and support staff development within the Ministry, its Agencies and Local Authorities to enhance their skills and make them more efficient in executing their duties;
- Reviews work performances to determine where improvement are needed;
- Attends meetings to provide technical advice, submit reports and acquires information on behalf of the Ministry at Project meetings held within the Ministry, Agencies and Local Authorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management and organization skills
- Good integrity and ethics exercised in the performance of duties
- Excellent project planning and management skills
- Team player
- Good knowledge of the relevant computer applications
Special Condition Associated with the job
- Long working hours;
- Islandwide travelling.
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- First Degree in Engineering from a recognized institution;
- Training in Project Management
- Three (3) years’ work experience in the field.
Salary range $2,101,170 - $2,497,631 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.