The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryInternational Seabed Authority invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of GIS Officer, P-3 (International position)
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: This position is located in the Office of Resources and Environmental Monitoring (OREM) and reports to the Director of the Office.
The Office of Resources and Environment Monitoring is the economic arm of the Authority’s Secretariat providing scientific and technical inputs in the preparation of rules, regulations and procedures for the conduct of activities in the Area. The OREM is also responsible for the development and maintenance of information technology facilities to support needs of the Authority and the central data repository resources of the international seabed area and endeavors to promote and encourage the conduct of marine scientific research in the Area.
Within limits of delegated authority, the will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Capture and maintaining a definitive archive of GIS information relating to the Area and the locations of blocks allocated to exploration and exploitation contractors.
- Verify the accuracy and location of coordinates submitted in applications for approval of plans of work;
- Capture the location of ‘marine assets' such as features, region allocations, boundaries, international marine scientific areas, and marine scientific research from programs of government and international agencies.
- Capture desk-based data (digitizing) to convert paper maps/information into structured GIS datasets.
- Have good practice for the long-term storage and preservation of geographical information data in different formats.
- Create and maintain the structures necessary for GIS data storage;
- Develop the tools for loading/transferring GIS data between different systems;
- Manipulate, analyze and present geographical information by creating programs to convert GIS information from one format to another;
- Develop internet applications using application program interfaces (APIs) to present GIS data and interactive tools.
- Use tools to join together different GIS datasets and create derived information and/or investigate geographical patterns.
- Prepare reports, technical documents and studies as may be required.
- Develop a catalogue of GIS products for use by other organizational units of the Secretariat.
Professionalism: Committed to quality performance, demonstrated use of initiative, ability to interpret and apply rules and organizational skills. Ability to research, select, organize and summarize information required by the Director of Office. Ability to manage processes be conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments ; Show pride in work and achievements; observe deadlines and achieve results; show persistence and motivation when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions.
Communication: Speak and write clearly and effectively; listen to others, interpret messages from others and respond appropriately, ask questions to clarify, and exhibit interest in having two-way communication; demonstrate openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Committed and motivated to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals: places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accept joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Bachelor Degree in Mathematics/Physical Sciences or a closely related field. Post-graduate studies and research in physics, chemistry, or biological oceanography involving geographic information systems (GIS). Must also have formal education and/or training in the use of GIS and automated mapping.
At least 4 years’ experience in the field of computer mapping with practical experience in GIS. Skills and experience in the use of Microsoft standard desktop applications and multiple platforms including Macintosh and Linux. Good knowledge of is a further requirement. Good knowledge of MS spreadsheets, and specific software related to GIS (ArcGIS, QGIS, GMT, others).
Experience in the MapInfo suite of GIS and internet mapping products (Mapinfo Pro., MapBasic, MapX, MapXtreme). Experience in Oracle Spatial would be an advantage. Knowledge of numerical data analysis including spatial statistics. Computer programming ability with Fortran, R, C++ etc., is an asset. Computer skills in multiple platforms (Windows/Macintosh/Linux) and a good knowledge of MS spreadsheets, and specific software related to GIS (ArcGIS, QGIS, GMT, others).
Experience in developing and using numerical data related to geographical metadata and data analysis in environmental sciences. Experience in the formulation of basic spatial and temporal models applied to marine geology, oceanography and ecology for the deep sea.
International working experience (5 years minimum) in environmental sciences is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the Secretariat of the International Seabed Authority. For this post fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Good working knowledge of another official language of the Authority is highly desirable.
Assessment Method: Competency-based interview and/or other assessment methods.
International Seabed Authority Considerations: The International Seabed Authority shall place no restriction on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its Secretariat.
Minimum Salary: US$74,013.00