The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe National Works Agency invites applications from suitably qualified individuals for the position of GIS Officer (Level 5).
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in an Information Technology related field, Urban Planning or Geography
- Specialized training in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and or Information Technology
- A minimum of two (2) years related experience
- Collect, input, analyze and retrieve data relevant to the effective use and operation of GIS in the Agency
- Provide plans, themes, charts, graphs and reports from the GIS Database
- Maintains a Spatial Database of all the Agencies properties, land acquisition, project sites, road networks and related structures etc.
- Participate in the development of geodatabase
- Classify and process geographic information using standard rules and established procedures and practices
- Maintain knowledge in current trend of web application development
- Understanding of GIS applications in physical planning infrastructure planning
- Knowledge of GIS software and products (including the ESRI geodatabase data model. ArcGIS Desktop ArcGIS Extensions, ArcGIS Online. Collector of ArcGIS etc.)
- Strong knowledge of Web GIS and Web Mapping applications (ArcGIS Server, Google Earth and Google Maps API)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly developed analytical and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of programming language (such as VB, HTMLS, Java) would be an asset
- Reports to: GIS Manager
- Liaises internally with: Planning, Project Implementation & Information Technology Personnel
- Liaises externally with GIS /Information Technology personnel in other Departments of government e.g. Land Informational Council of Jamaica, Utility Companies and other local authorities.