The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Head, Social Development
Job SummaryThe Head of Unit will be responsible for coordinating the formulation of policies in social protection, juvenile justice reform, youth enterprise development including sports, gender and other related areas
Under the supervision of the Head, Human and Social Cluster, the Head of Unit will be responsible for coordinating the formulation of policies in social protection, juvenile justice reform, youth enterprise development including sports, gender and other related areas, and for providing technical and policy advice to the Member States and the OECS Commission on social issues.
This will require the incumbent, inter alia:
- Provide strategic advice and direction to the unit to ensure currency of its direction, relevance, feasibility and added value of its activities. More specifically help to develop and implementUnit operations planswhich detail the tasks, relationships, stakeholders, timelines, risks, reporting and communication mechanisms to be employed.
- Prepare with Unit staff, the development of annual work plans, operational strategies, and set resource development targets.
- Seek approval for budgeted activities and any related programme developments and show implementation of the Unit activities in accordance with its budget and approved work plan.
- Direct the Unit team in matters related to organizational processes and controls.
- Provide the Unit team with the required assistance to ensure that planned activities, monitoring and financial reporting, and any other reporting requirements are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Represent the OECS at technical and scientific fora and provide technical briefings to OECS Member States on social development issues.Additionally, represent the OECS Commission on policy, negotiations and other related matters, within the remit of the Social Development Unit
- Facilitate development of positions on social development policy and programme issues for the OECS, incorporating principles enshrined in current international policy instruments.
- Communicate all unit related activities, issues, and updates to the Director of Social and Sustainable Development Division.
- Prepare project proposals to mobilize new resources and partnerships.
- Assist in recruitment, procurement of services, goods, and works for the implementation of planned activities in the Unit.
- Assist in the design and conduct of research in the field of social policy and social development and keep under review the social impact of regional and global socio-economic policies.
- Prepare, implement and monitor the process of operationalizing the Revised Treaty of Basseterre and other OECS Development strategies and plans, in keeping with the priority needs and strategic focus of Member States in social planning and poverty reduction strategies that are in keeping with the Millennium Development Goals.
- Manage the production of statistical and other publications, as specific outputs of the data compilation and analysis activities of the Unit and provide technical assistance to Member States and their regional organisations in the field of social policy formulation, implementation and evaluation.
- Develop a framework that will internalize gender equality consideration in interventions related to socio-economic development of the region.
- Dialogue with intergovernmental, international, bilateral, NGOs, national, sub-regional, regional institutions, academic institutions, and related stakeholders.
- Where appropriate, complete relevant performance reviews within agreed time frames.
- Develop and maintain key relationships for effecting proper coordination among the various elements of the Unit, influencing the relevant partners and facilitating the work of the Commission
- Provide leadership to the staff within the Unit, including the creation of a work environment that is supportive of change, facilitates conflict resolution and engenders confidence
- Ensure the Unit’s staff conduct their activities in strict observance of the rules and regulations of the OECS Commission and in conformity with related legally binding Agreements
- Drive the requisite communication activities by, inter alia, establishing and maintaining formal communications with key stakeholders as per stipulated schedules and procedures
- Carry out such other related duties as may be assigned or required from time to time by the Director of the Human and Social Cluster.
The Officer should have a good understanding of the OECS region and the mandate and work of the OECS Commission, as well as, the ability to work on a broad range of social issues in a multi-disciplinary multi-sectoral environmentand be willing to travel up to 40% of working time to OECS participating countries. In addition, the candidate should have:
- Five years of experience as a Head of Unit, including experience in related research, program planning and implementation
- At least a post graduate degree in management in the Social or Humanities related disciplines
- Strong management/leadership and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in computer applications relating to the use of database and word processing software packages (MS Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Analysis & Reporting
- Change management
- Consultation & Facilitation
- Project Management
- Public Relations & Marketing