The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe Early Childhood Commission (ECC) is seeking to identify a qualified individual to fill the vacant post of Inspector (GMG/SEG1)
Description of Duties:
Reporting to the Senior Inspector, the Inspector is responsible for conducting inspections of Early Childhood Institutions (i.e. day care centres and pre-schools) and interviews with the relevant personnel, in accordance with the Early Childhood Act and Regulations, and the Policies and Standards for the Operation, Management and Administration of Early Childhood Institutions in Jamaica.
- Conducts inspection visits based on the criteria outlined in the EC Act and Regulations, and Standards for the operation of early childhood institutions.
- Completes the Inspection Reports and submits the information to the Early Childhood Commission
- Recommends to the Commission institutions which qualify for registration or Permits to Operate
- Recommends time – scales for compliance with the Act and Regulations for those institutions which have been granted permits to operate
- Identifies critical incidents at early childhood institutions and complete critical incident reports
- Investigates complaints made against early childhood institutions and completes investigation reports making recommendations in accordance with the Early Childhood Act and Regulations 2005.
- Identifies breaches of the Public Health Act and Regulations, the Fire Brigade Act as well as the Child Care and Protection Act 2004 and prepares reports with recommendations to address the breaches.
- Responds to questions and complaints from ECI Operators regarding the implementation of the Act, Regulations, Standards, inspection schedules, inspection results and compliance requirements
- Reports forthwith to the Commission any infringements of the EC Act and Regulations
- Makes recommendations for the closure of an institution as directed by the Act and Regulations
- Delivers Inspection Reports and Permits to Operators of early childhood institutions
- Distributes registration packages to early childhood institutions and assists operators to understand the registration process
- Collects outstanding documentation from early childhood institutions on an ongoing basis in order for them to receive permits to Operate
- Liaise with the Public Health and Fire Departments regarding breaches at early childhood institutions
- Prepares special reports for agencies requiring infrastructural/progress reports on ECIs
- Conducts feasibility studies to determine the suitability of premises and facilities to establish early childhood institutions and make recommendations to the relevant stakeholders
- Confers with Attorneys at Law regarding legal issues such as infractions of the law and appeals
- Represents the Commission in the Courts of law or before the Independent Appeals Tribunal in the case of infractions of the Act
- Provides information to support the development of comprehensive reports on each cycle of the inspectorate process – weekly reports
- Provide timely feedback on ways to improve the performance of the Inspectorate Division
- Performs other related functions assigned from time to time by the Senior Inspector.
- Sound knowledge of the Early Childhood Act and Regulations and the Standards for the Operation of Early Childhood Institutions in Jamaica
- Working knowledge of the Early Childhood Sector.
- Working knowledge of child development.
- Sound knowledge of relevant computer applications.
- Analytical Skills
- Sound human relations skills
- Sound oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent investigative, observation and interviewing skills.
- Excellent skills in using tact, initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
- Excellent skills in organizing and prioritizing work and meeting critical deadlines.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- BSc. in Early Childhood Development, Education, Social Sciences or a related discipline and
- Three years working experience in early childhood development or a related field.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Extensive travel to inspect early childhood institutions located in designated areas.
- Required to carry out assignments in any parish within assigned Group and across Groups from time to time based on workflow.
- On occasion, testify on behalf of the Commission in legal proceedings.
Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license and a reliable motor vehicle.
Salary Range: $1,415,972.00 – $1,683,146.00 per annum
Motor Vehicle Upkeep Allowance$707,448.00 per annum