The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Lecturer in Education: Teaching of Science
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the post of Lecturer in Education: Teaching of Science.
Qualification and Experience
PhD in Biology Education/Science Education with professional teaching qualification in the teaching of Science.
Postgraduate qualifications in Education with at least an undergraduate degree in Biology and Chemistry or Biology and Physics with experience in the teaching of Science at primary level and the teaching of Biology and Integrated Science at secondary level.
- Significant experience teaching at the tertiary level, inclusive of postgraduate courses
- At least three experience in the preparation of teachers for the primary and secondary levels of the education system. Experience in teaching Biology and Chemistry at the secondary level and in any of the following areas in Education – Research Methods or Measurement and Evaluation will be an asset
- Experience in the supervision of graduate students’ research for higher degrees is also desirable
Special Expertise /Focus
The successful applicant will be operating in a range of teacher education programmes based on an inter-disciplinary, thematic and team teaching approach.
He/she will be expected to conduct research and develop programmes to improve the teaching of Science at primary level and the teaching of Biology/Integrated Science at the secondary level. Must be proficient in the use of technology as a teaching tool.
The successful applicant may be required to teach courses in any of the following areas: Bachelor of Education; Postgraduate Diploma in Education; Masters in Education.
He/she will be responsible for designing, conducting and reporting on research aimed at improving the quality of teaching and learning in Science in the education system in Trinidad and Tobago and will also conduct clinical supervision of teachers in schools.
The Department places high priority on individuals who can work well in a team environment. Candidates should also possess good communication and interpersonal skills. A good command of English is essential.
Candidates must also:
- Possess enthusiasm for both teaching and research
- Possess excellent time management skills and the ability meet tight deadlines
- Be computer literate and able to use information technology tools
- Be able to function optimally in a team teaching environment
- Be student focused and centered
- Be committed to the Vision and Mission of the School of Education