The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Legal Counsel & Compliance Officer
Job SummaryThe University is seeking to recruit a suitable candidate for the position of Legal Counsel & Compliance Officer within the Legal Affairs Division.
Reporting to the President, the Legal/Compliance Officer will work closely with Executive managers on a range of legal issues relevant to the University including intellectual property rights, policies, briefs and contracts and compliance matters. He/she is also required to provide senior management with effective advice on relevant legal and labour-related issues on behalf of the University. He/she will also attend meetings of Council, Academic Board, Procurement Committee and other meetings. In addition, the incumbent may represent the University in various proceedings.
The preferred applicant will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law or equivalent qualifications.
- Certificate of Legal Education.
- Practicing Certificate to practice in Jamaica.
- A minimum of 5 (five) years experience of legal and administrative work.
- Knowledge of the UTech Act, Ordinances, Regulations and Policies.
- Knowledge of Government procurement practices and procedures.
- Familiarity with the regulatory legislation relating to the particular activities of the University.
- Specialized knowledge of compliance and/or auditing.
- Familiar with contract laws and the preparation of documents for procurement.
- Knowledge and understanding of the structure and functions of Council and Academic Board.
- Knowledge of the principles and procedures of legal research.
- Knowledge of drafting and analyzing legal documents.
- Knowledge of legal compliance.
- Knowledge of collecting, compiling and utilizing technical information.
- Report writing skills.
- Excellent interviewing skills.
- Excellent organization skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.