The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Legal Officer (JLG/LO 3)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the post of Legal Officer (JLG/LO 3), Legal Service Unit
To support the Senior Legal Officer in the delivery of legislative outputs within the Ministry’s portfolio, the delivery of legal advice to Ministry officials with a view to assist in making informed decisions in support of the Ministry’s mandate.
The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Assists the Senior Legal Officer in the drafting of Cabinet Submissions, Legislation Committee Submissions, Ministerial Briefs as well as the preparation of drafting instructions to Chief Parliamentary Counsel;
- Assists the Senior Legal Officer in collecting relevant information including comparative legislation relevant for the development of policy decisions and for the preparation of drafting instructions for the introduction of, and amendment to legislation.
- Review and draft contracts, Memoranda of Understanding and other legal instruments relevant to the Ministry’s portfolio.
- Provides legal advice to the Ministry, its Departments and Agencies on certain matters.
- Assists the Senior Legal Officer in obtaining legal advice from the Attorney General’s Department and Legal Reform Division in the Ministry of Justice.
- Assists the Senior Legal Officer in maintaining liaison with other legal departments relevant to the Ministry’s portfolio.
- Collects and collates legal information and precedents relevant to the Ministry’s portfolio
- Reviews and interprets laws, rulings, regulations for the Ministry.
- Reviews policy documents for legal efficacy.
- Exceptional Negotiation skills
- Excellent analytical and judgement skills
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint skills
- Requisite Legal and Training Skills
- Excellent Research skills
- Advocacy skills
- Legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations framework, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Contract negotiations and drafting.
- Government Procurement Procedures.
- Staff Orders, Public Service Regulations, Financial Administration and Audit (FAA) Act and other Government Regulations & Guidelines.
- Policy Development
- Report Writing
- Legal Drafting
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB:
- Typical working environment
- Extended working hours
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Law
- Legal Education Certificate from the Council of Legal Education
- At least three (3) years legal experience
SALARY SCALE: $2,342,159.00 – $2,784,091.00 PER ANNUM PLUS ALLOWANCES
Please note that we thank all for responding but only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.