The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Librarian (PIDG/LB 3)
Job SummaryTo coordinate and administer an up-to-date reference and research library of printed and electronic information in accordance with professional standards of classification, indexing, research and display to meet the information needs of the Ministry.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Identifies the information needs of the Ministry and its clients and manage and maintain the Library’s Acquisition and Collection policies to support fulfilment of the needs.
- Develops systems and procedures for management of Library processes and materials.
- Develops User Manual to guide users in the use of the Library.
- Participates in the development of the Unit’s Operational Plan, Corporate Plan and Budget.
- Prepares Annual/Quarterly/Monthly reports as requested.
- Develops Individual Work Plan based on alignment with Unit’s Operational Plan.
- Conducts research to satisfy information needs of Ministry staff.
- Devises techniques/mechanisms to effectively market the services and resources of the Library to encourage a change in culture as it relates to research.
- Develops a Disaster Recovery and Continuity Plan.
Technical/ Professional Responsibilities
- Develops an efficient library information system that facilitates ease of access.
- Promotes and maintains systems for appropriate classification, cataloguing and indexing of library material for the Ministry’s two(2) libraries
- Spearheads and manages the transition from CDS/ISIS to KOHA Integrated Library System (ILS).
- Monitors the loaning of material and ensures adherence to weeding guidelines.
- Monitors reproduction and editing of all material and ensures compliance with the Intellectual Property and copyright laws.
- Revises and amends Collection Development Plan to guide acquisition of library
material to ensure existence of a current and relevant library catalogue.
- Promotes the services of the Library through brochures and other publications and the mounting of exhibitions.
- Initiates and maintains collaborative networks with other libraries and information
- Develops and maintains special indexing systems and files for special collections
- Trains Library users to effectively search the Library catalogue, Internet and other electronic resources
- Keeps abreast of current professional practices and developments, information technologies, and research applicable to library services and systems
- Analyzes staff's requests to determine needed information, and assist in furnishing or locating that information.
- Reviews and evaluates resource material, such as book reviews and catalogs, in order to select and order print, audiovisual, and electronic resources
- Compiles lists of overdue materials, and notify borrowers that their materials are overdue
- Writes proposals for research or project grants
Human Resource Responsibilities
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of direct reports, prepares performance appraisals and recommend and/or initiates corrective action where necessary to improve performance and/or attaining established personal and/or organizational goals.
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the direct reports and recommends transfer, promotion and leave in accordance with established human resource policies and procedures.
- Provides leadership and guidance to direct reports through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching.
- Contributes to and maintains a system that fosters a culture of teamwork, employee empowerment and commitment to the Division’s and organization’s goals.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of a succession planning framework in collaboration with the Human Resource Division through the development of procedural manuals and other duties prescribed within the framework
- Prepares and conducts presentations on the Unit’s roles and functions for the Ministry’s Orientation programme.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Client-focused with good interpersonal skills
- Organizing skills
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Results oriented
- Background in library operations and management of information systems and tools.
- Sound understanding of standard rules and procedures for the classifying and processing of
- Knowledge of Intellectual Property and Copyright laws relative to document retention
- Sound knowledge of standard computer applications and knowledge of management information systems
- Knowledge of professional standards and codes of ethics
- Knowledge of Special Library standards
Minimum Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Library and Information Studies
- Certification/training in Supervisory Management
- Three (3) years’ experience in Library or Information Management
We thank you for your expressions of interest, however, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.