The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Manager, Corporate Communications
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified nationals of Trinidad and Tobago for employment, on contract, for the position of Manager, Corporate Communications for a period of three (3) years, in the Ministry of Health.
This incumbent is required to develop, implement, direct and evaluate the Ministry’s/Department’s marketing and communications strategies and programmes including public relations, media relations, web site content and the Ministry’s/Department’s identity/image programme. Duties include planning, organising, directing and coordinating the work of staff engaged in the performance of related activities. Duties also include using communications as a vital component of the overall change management programme in support of the Ministry’s/Department’s initiatives amongst internal stakeholders and to inform clients, employees and the general public of initiatives and policies of government and of the Ministry/Department.
Length of Contract
Three (3) years
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Plans, organises, directs and coordinates the work of staff engaged in the provision of Corporate Communications services in a Ministry/Department.
Designs, organises and implements a creative and effective Communications Strategy including content management for the Ministry/Department’s website ensuring that it is adequately integrated into the Ministry/Department’s Operations.
Prepares the more complex and sensitive briefs, media releases, advertisements and presentations; reviews speeches to be delivered by the Minister.
Prepares the more complex Cabinet/Ministerial Notes, internal notes and other documents.
Spearheads the development and implementation of media relations strategy to ensure proactive and positive media coverage of the Ministry’s/Department’s activities and to minimise negative media reports.
Facilitates workforce effectiveness by setting the standard for monitoring the performance of staff supervised.
Directs and participates in the preparation of the budgetary estimates of the Corporate Communications Division/Unit and ensures that expenditure is in accordance with financial guidelines.
Provides strategic advice to members of the Ministry’s/Department’s executive and senior management teams, business unit managers and client sector leaders to build and protect the corporate brand name and image.
Defines and manages all aspects of strategic communications: brand management, reputation management and relationship management for the Ministry/Department.
Directs the conduct of research activities to evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of Corporate Communications and client service provided and recommends necessary changes.
Prepares the required inputs for the Ministry’s/Department’s Annual Report and other reports required by other agencies.
Formulates policies, procedures, systems and guidelines that support the Corporate Communications function in the Ministry/Department and ensures compliance.
Oversees the budgeting, planning, direction, coordination, implementation and evaluation of major events and programmes in the Ministry/Department and ensures successful execution.
Directs and co-ordinates staff engaged in the performance of protocol duties for the Ministry/Department in accordance with established standards to ensure appropriate etiquette is used in interactions with individuals such as dignitaries and officials.
Advises on the development and implementation of corporate advertising strategies, programmes and action plans adopted by the Ministry/Department.
Develops and trains staff supervised in the creation and implementation of Crisis and Issues Communication Plans.
Participates in the procurement of consultants for communications and research services by defining the research problem, determining research methodologies and sources, advising on questionnaires and discussion guides and reviewing reports and recommendations.
Manages the work activities of consultants providing communications and research services.
Contributes to the development of Provides oversight for customer relationships by maintaining constant dialogue, monitoring evolving needs, monitoring client care audits/quality indicators/client surveys, and developing early dissatisfaction detection mechanisms.
Directs and coordinates the process for monitoring national, regional and international news and provides the executive with media summaries as detailed in the delivery schedule.
Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of media issues, social marketing theory and practice, communications strategies and implementation and behavioural sciences.
- Extensive knowledge of marketing, public relations, advertising, promotion and other marketing communication methods.
- Extensive knowledge of current theories and practices in communication research, planning and strategy, and the role of mass media. Knowledge of the Constitution of The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Extensive knowledge of desktop publishing, new web and social media such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Considerable knowledge of the organisational structure of the Government of Trinidad and Tobago.
- Considerable knowledge of protocol procedures.
- Knowledge of Public Administration.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite desktop publishing and communications technologies such as web applications, design/illustration software and/or databases.
- Skill in the use of personal computers.
- Skill in writing and editing, including a strong command of English.
- Skill in conducting research and in conceptual and analytical thinking.
- Ability to use e-Government technology platforms.
- Ability to use the internet for research purposes.
- Ability to plan, organise, lead and co-ordinate the work of professional and other support staff performing corporate communications duties.
- Ability to develop effective and engaging branded events that will achieve Ministry/Agency goals.
- Ability to problem solve and work independently in a changing and multitasking environment with numerous deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal/external partners.
- Ability to develop professional relationships in all aspects of the position that result in stable, consistent, reliable and courteous communications when dealing with other stakeholders.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.
Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in the field of Corporate Communications or Public Relations or Media Relations and Advertising.
- Training as evidenced by a recognised University Degree in Communications Studies or a post graduate Diploma in a related field.
Terms and Conditions of Employment
Terms and conditions of employment for the positions are to be negotiated with/determined by the Chief Personnel Officer, Personnel Department.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however unsuitable/late applications will not be acknowledged.