The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Manager, Corporate Communications
Job SummaryThe incumbent is required to develop, implement, direct and evaluate the Ministry's/Department's marketing and communications strategies and programmes
The incumbent is required to develop, implement, direct and evaluate the Ministry's/Department's marketing and communications strategies and programmes including public relations, media relations, website content and the Ministry's/Department's identity/image programme.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides strategic advice to members of the Ministry’s/Department’s executive and senior management teams, business unit managers and client sector leaders to build and protect the corporate brand name and image.
- Prepares the more complex Cabinet/Ministerial Notes, internal notes and other documents.
- Spearheads the development and implementation of media relations strategy to ensure proactive and positive media coverage of the Ministry’s/Department’s activities and to minimize negative media reports.
- Designs, organizes and implements a creative and effective Communications Strategy including content management for the Ministry/Department’s website ensuring that it is adequately integrated into the Ministry’s/Department’s Operations.
- Plans, organizes, directs and coordinates the work of staff engaged in the provision of Corporate Communications services in the Ministry/Department.
- Prepares the more complex Cabinet/Ministerial Notes, internal notes and other documents .
- Facilitates workforce effectiveness by setting the standard for monitoring the performance of staff supervised.
- Directs and participates in the preparation of the budgetary estimates of the Corporate Communications Division/Unit and ensures that expenditure is in accordance with financial guidelines.
- Defines and manages all aspects of strategic communications: brand management, reputation management and relationship management for the Ministry/Department.
- Directs the conduct of research activities to evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of Corporate Communications and client service provided and recommends necessary changes.
- Oversees the budgeting, planning, direction, coordination, Implementation and evaluation of major events and programmes in the Ministry/Department and ensures successful execution.
- Directs and co-ordinates staff engaged in the performance of protocol duties for the Ministry/Department in accordance with established standards to ensure appropriate etiquette is used in
- interactions with individuals such as dignitaries and officials.
- Advises on the development and implementation of corporate advertising strategies, programmes and action plans adopted by the Ministry/Department.
- Develops and trains staff supervised in the creation and Implementation of Crisis and Issues Communication Plans.
- Participates In the procurement of consultants for communications and research services by defining the research problem, determining research methodologies and sources, advising on questionnaires and
- discussion guides and reviewing reports and recommendations.
- Manages the work activities of consultants providing communications and research services.
- Contributes to the development of, and provides oversight for customer relationships by maintaining constant dialogue, monitoring evolving needs, monitoring client care audits/quality indicators/client surveys, and developing early dissatisfaction detection mechanisms.
- Directs and coordinates the process for monitoring national, regional and international news and provides the executive with media summaries as detailed in the delivery schedule.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in the field of Corporate Communications or Public Relations or Media Relations and Advertising.
- Training as evidenced by a recognized University Degree in Communications Studies or a Post Graduate Diploma in a related field.
Required Competencies, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of media issues, social marketing theory and practice, communications strategies and implementation and behavioural sciences.
- Extensive knowledge of marketing, public relations, advertising, promotion and other marketing communication methods.
- Extensive knowledge of current theories and practices in communication research, planning and strategy and the role of mass media.
- Knowledge of the Constitution of Republic of Trinidad & Tobago.
- Extensive knowledge of desktop publishing, new web and social media such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Considerable knowledge of the organisational structure of the Government of Trinidad & Tobago.
- Considerable knowledge of protocol procedures.
- Knowledge of Public Administration.
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office Suite desktop publishing and communications technologies such as web applications, design/illustration software and/or databases.
- Skill in the use of personal computers.
- Skill in writing and editing, including a strong command of English.
- Skill in conducting research and in conceptual and analytical thinking.
- Ability to use e-Government technology platforms.
- Ability to use the internet for research purposes.
- Ability to plan, organise, lead and coordinate the work of professional and other support staff performing corporate communication duties.
- Ability to develop effective and engaging branded events that will achieve Ministry/Agency goals.
- Ability to problem solve and work independently in a changing and multitasking environment with numerous deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal/external partners.
- Ability to develop professional relationships in all aspects of the position that result in stable, consistent, reliable and courteous communications when dealing with other stakeholders.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills.