The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
National Librarian/CEO (GMG/SEG6)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the post of National Librarian/CEO (GMG/SEG6).
Brief Description of the Position
The National Librarian is the Chief Executive Officer with responsibility for the management of the library’s mandates in accordance with government policies and strategic directions. The incumbent is expected to provide leadership and strategic direction for the institution and to be an articulate voice for the continued development of the National Library of Jamaica
The position reports to the Board of Management. High priorities for the National Librarian will include developing solutions for the facilities constraints; the strengthening of the government sector network in the national information system; the proactive acquisition of literary and political archives; review of the librarian classification series and amendments to the Legal Deposit Act to enable deposit of electronic publications.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with the NLJ Board of Management to strategically define, communicate and implement the library’s vision, governance and strategic imperatives.
- Formulate and develop strategic, operational goals and objectives.
- Develop, review and implement systems, policies and procedures to guide the management of operations and delivery of services.
- Review and evaluate the output of the Organization against Strategic & Operational Plans
- Develop the annual estimates of expenditure and monitor budget in accordance with the relevant acts, guidelines and requirements of the Ministry of Finance and Public Service.
- Lead and coordinate the Jamaica Libraries and Information Network (JAMLIN).
- Research and publish papers relating to library trends and issues and seek to influence government policy related to the wider library sector.
- Direct, monitor and evaluate the performance of:
- The Divisional Heads; Director Human Resource Management and Administration, and the Director of Accounts as well as the Executive Office staff of five (5).
- Approve recommendation for appointments, promotion, transfer, termination
- Serve as Secretary to the Board of Management and ex-officio member of Board Committees.
Required Education, Experiences, Competencies
- Undergraduate or postgraduate degree in Library and Information Science.
- Undergraduate or postgraduate degree in another related discipline.
- Qualification / Training in Management.
- Keen interest in Jamaican history, culture and heritage.
- Seven (7) years experience as a Librarian with five (5) in a senior management position.
- Ability to work effectively with a broad range of stakeholders including: senior officers in government and organizations; Board of Management; local and international library and other professional organizations as well as with a varied library clientele.
Remuneration $3,547,018 - $4,216,290, Duty Allowance $354,702, Motor Vehicle Upkeep$1,341,624 p.a.
We thank all applicants, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.