The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Network Administrator (MIS/IT 4)
Job SummaryResponsible for supporting, troubleshooting and maintaining the Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) located throughout the Ministry of Labour and Social Security’s Head Offices, Local Offices and outstations.
Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, the Network Administrator is responsible for supporting, troubleshooting and maintaining the Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) located throughout the Ministry of Labour and Social Security’s Head Offices, Local Offices and outstations. He/she should ensure an efficient, robust and reliable network throughout. He/she should also assist in troubleshooting, diagnosing, and repairing of malfunctioning equipment and provide help desk assistance
Supporting and maintaining the overall health of the Ministry’s LAN/WAN by:
- Troubleshooting and resolving problems at Head Offices, Local and other outstations.
- Researching and maintaining knowledge of current hardware/software technologies for network equipment and topologies.
- Configuring and managing user accounts, groups, access policy permissions to shared network resources.
- Configuring and managing network switches, routers and other related equipment.
- Maintaining Inventory of the Ministry’s network equipment.
- Providing leadership for the installation and configuration of the computer network.
- Assisting in conducting risk assessments to identify user vulnerabilities and make recommendations for mitigation/elimination of identified risks.
- Managing distribution of static and dynamic IP addresses.
- Installing network and server operating systems and other system software.
- Managing Windows active directory computer domain.
- Maintaining documentation of network configurations and equipment deployed throughout the Ministry.
- Monitoring and analyzing network usage and performance to effect load balancing and configurations that will enable optimization.
- Fine tuning network parameters related to ensure highest security.
- Assisting in the planning, designing and implementation of network solutions to improve overall efficiency and robustness of LAN/WAN as well as to accommodate the growing information processing needs of the Ministry.
- Working with applications software developers to ensure connectivity requirements are met.
- Liaising with contractors in the implementation of the network (cabling and electronics).
- Installing network software upgrades as required.
- Interfacing with external telecommunications service providers to solve network related issues.
- Defining the infrastructural and environmental requirements of network devices.
- Administering email accounts for various head of departments.
- Establishing connectivity for users to the Ministry network and services such as the Intranet and Internet.
- Researching and maintaining knowledge of current hardware/ software technologies for desktop computers, servers, network topology and infrastructure.
- Installing antivirus, client applications, operating system software on servers as needed.
- Attending meetings where necessary.
- Conducting periodic/scheduled visits to outstations to ensure proper storage, maintenance and working environment of equipment
- Analytical Thinking
- Problem solving and decision making skills
- Use of technology
- Good planning and organizing skills
- Technical Skills
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or Computer Science or its equivalent from an accredited tertiary institution
- Four (4) years’ experience in a network administration or related field
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Lifting heavy equipment
- Small spaces
- Telecommunication/Network Management
- Extensive knowledge of network protocols, OSI model, bandwidth, VLANS, Firewalls, , Remote Access and Network Security
- Network services (DHCP, DNS, RAS, ISDN,WWW, Proxy, VPN, Firewall, TFTP)
- Windows (2003/2008/2012 Hyper-V R2), SCO UNIX, Linux Systems Network & Security Administration
- Configuring and Maintaining Cisco Network Devices.
Salary range $1,406,073 – 1,671,378 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.