The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Policy Analyst (GMG/SEG 2), Protective Security Unit
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the post of Policy Analyst (GMG/SEG 2), Protective Security Unit in the Ministry of National Security.
Provides support in the development of policies related to protective security as well as to all Agencies/Departments for which the Unit has oversight, through the provision of researched policy options and draft policies/papers to assist in monitoring and reporting on such entities aligned with the Unit’s mandate.
The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Collates and analyzes data in order to facilitate the preparation of Cabinet Notes and Submissions, Ministry Papers and other policy documents for Departments and Agencies overseen by the Protective Security Unit;
- Contributes to the preparation of papers, briefs and correspondence for the Honourable Minister, Cabinet, Senior Management and others as requested;
- Develops policy options and researches potential effectiveness and impact;
- Provides assistance in drafting/developing policies, procedures and standards related to protective security through comprehensive research and evaluation of relevant data;
- Reviews existing policies/regulations both locally and internationally relating to protective security best practices and makes the relevant recommendations.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative/consultative relationships with key stakeholders internally and within other Ministries and organizations in order to facilitate seamless exchange of information during policy research/preparation;
- Assists in the review of existing legislation being contemplated for amendment and provide analysis and technical advice
- Assists in developing Terms of Reference (TOR) for respective Consultants in collaboration with other related Units/Divisions within the Ministry or other government entities;
- Provides support in relation to Jamaica honouring its international obligations through the review and completion of questionnaires/reports etc.;
- Contributes to the development of draft newsletters or other related documents for policy briefs for the Policy Directorate;
- Assists in the preparation and submission of the Unit’s Strategic Plan and PMAS documentations;
- Assists in the preparation of the Unit’s budget and other financial obligations.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Ability to develop programs and undertake initiatives which effectively respond to the needs of clients
- Demonstrate ability to engage a range of staff within the Department, other government agencies and non-government agencies to provide services
- Knowledge of research methodologies
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Public Policy, Business, Public Management or other related equivalent;
- At least one (1) year’s experience in policy work;
- Specialized training in Policy Development.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Conducting site visits.
- May be required to travel locally and overseas.
- Willingness to work extended hours.
Salary range $1,730,109 – $2,056,555 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.