The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Program Manager, Hurricane Matthew Response
Job SummaryThe American Red Cross Hurricane Matthew Response Program in Haiti seeks an experienced Program Manager (PM) to have overall responsibility for the management of all OFDA-funded project activities
The American Red Cross (ARC) Hurricane Matthew Response Program in Haiti (HMR) seeks an experienced Program Manager (PM) to have overall responsibility for the management of all OFDA-funded project activities and staff as well as other ARC response activities as needed. The HMR PM is charged with leading a professional team, including shelter, WASH, and health sector advisors, in the accomplishment of the OFDA objectives and sub-objectives. As the overall HMR Program Manager, s/he is responsible for supervising project staff, overseeing project implementation, monitoring, reporting, managing overall the project budget, and representing ARC to relevant stakeholders.
The HRM PM reports to the ARC Country Representative for Haiti and will work closely with ARC Delegates and other staff in the Port-au-Prince office as well as with the Haiti Assistance Program team and International Response Operations technical team in ARC National Headquarters (NHQ). S/he will be expected to manage the ongoing development, planning, implementation and management of all components of the OFDA-funded project and HMR program. Tasks will include writing implementation plans, hiring and managing staff, overseeing the implementation of OFDA projects within the larger relief program as needed and developing effective and efficient administrative processes.
This is a full time position for a minimum of 6-months with the possibility of extension. This is an unaccompanied (non-family/spouse/partner) post.
The Program Manager will provide leadership and overall oversight of the HRM Program implemented from ARC’s sub-offices in Les Cayes and Jeremie, Haiti. The Program Manager’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Direct and oversee the OFDA program within given budgets and project deadlines, ensuring that all program goals are met through proper planning, staffing, and implementation.
- Organize and direct the work of program staff, providing supervision, and training.
- Establish and maintain effective project reporting, evaluation, and communication systems in collaboration with ARC AMEL team in Port au Prince and the HAP Senior Program Officer in NHQ.
- Submit timely, accurate, and professional program reports that meet ARC and donor requirements.
- Ensure project activities comply with international humanitarian standards and meet USAID/OFDA rules & regulations.
- Manage grant budget within approved spending levels, and coordinate with ARC Finance staff in Port au Prince and NHQ to ensure accurate and timely financial reports to donors.
- Provide information to inform ARC plans and strategies to be communicated with relevant stakeholders, including Red Cross Movement Partners, the Haitian Red Cross, Haitian government authorities, UN agencies, and other humanitarian actors and partners.
- Make periodic visits to project field sites, providing staff support, addressing programmatic challenges, and exploring future program possibilities.
- In collaboration with ARC Haiti and NHQ teams, provide input on new project proposals and budgets.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years relevant experience and at least 1 year of management experience required.
- Experience working within international development, including direct experience in fast paced emergency environments.
- Demonstrated ability with project grants management, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, supervision and performance management, etc.
- Experience in vulnerability assessments, beneficiary registration, distributions, monitoring and evaluation in emergency situations preferred.
- Experience in working with grants funded by USAID/OFDA preferred.
- Knowledge in at least one of the following areas is strongly preferred: temporary and transitional shelter, cholera prevention, water and sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Experience in Haiti or in developing countries required.
- Familiarity with current standards in emergency response, in particular Sphere standards
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and achieve results through collaboration are required.
- Must have excellent computer skills, knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including Microsoft Office Project.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required; in addition to spoken French and/or Creole.