The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Project Technical Specialist
Job SummaryApplications are being invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following contract position in this Ministry.
To ensure the success of the Economic Reform Programme (ERP), an important consideration of the government includes the effective coordination and implementation of the various initiatives under the Stand-By Arrangement (SBA) with the International Monetary Fund (IMF). To this end, the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) has established an Economic Reform Monitoring Unit (ERMU) to effectively coordinate and monitor the implementation of the various initiatives and targets under the SBA and any successor arrangement with the IMF to ensure the achievement of related ERP targets. The MOFPS has also established a Project Coordination and Implementation Unit (PCIU) to support the coordination and monitoring of the implementation of the various initiatives and prior actions under the ERP.
The Project Technical Specialist will support the coordination and monitoring of the implementation of the prior actions and initiatives agreed to by the IMF, various other multilateral and bilateral agencies and the Government. This role will assist the Director ERMU in coordinating all efforts across the public and private sectors geared towards achieving success in the GOJ Economic Reform Programme. The Project Technical Specialist is expected to collaborate with all relevant agencies in relation to achievement of key targets under the ERP.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide cross-sector coordination, advocacy, implementation guidance, and activity support for ERP activities specifically directed at achieving the agreed targets;
- Coordinate in conjunction with technocrats of the overall implementation of key activities across ministries, departments and agencies, multilateral/bilateral institutions geared towards achieving the agreed prior actions/responsibilities under the GOJ/IMF.
- Provides advice/recommendations to the Director ERMU re the adjustment of targets that will alleviate, prevent or resolve impending economic/financial problems and facilitates the GOJs prudent management of the economy;
- Ensures timely response to requests from the EPOC/MOFPS and other stakeholders for technical/advisory inputs in support of project portfolio matters.
- Supports the monitoring of the implementation of the GOJ/IMF macro-fiscal measures in the Memorandum of Economic and Financial Policies (MEFP), and provides updates to the Director ERMU through standard and ad hoc reporting;
- Attends relevant meetings with GOJ stakeholders, multilateral partners and private sector interests pertaining to the various economic programmes and projects;
- Identifies and tracks key performance indicators (KPIs) to monitor overall progress to trigger an informed discussion and actions as required, to improve programme/project performance;
- Liaises with Ministries, Departments and Agencies to obtain regular progress reports and updates on implementation of GOJ/IMF macro-fiscal measures in the MEFP within required timelines;
- Liaises with the Planning Institute of Jamaica (PIOJ) and External Assistance Funding Partners to ensure that programmes are being implemented within specified conditionalities;
- Tracks the impact on the respective sectors, getting the relevant data from critical stakeholders on implementation of the conditionalities;
- Prepares technical reports, special papers, presentations, briefs and other relevant reports to the Financial Secretary/Economic Programme Oversight Committee (EPOC) and other officials as deemed appropriate and as agreed;
- Monitors progress in relation to economic programme activities, prepares the necessary reports and recommends strategies to ensure that the specified conditions/commitments related to the respective programmes will be met;
- Generates information/data for inclusion in regular and special reports;
- Liaises with the relevant project stakeholders to ensure that everyone is up to date with the progress and deadlines of the project;
- Collaborates with key stakeholders ensuring optimal project coordination and management;
- Liaise with relevant partners to ensure approve adjustments/changes to ERP are implemented and ensure accountability re deliverables;
- Provides administrative and logistical support in coordination of meeting schedules, agenda setting, minute taking, event planning and reporting;
- Collaborates with the relevant Divisions/Agencies in assessing and recommending the adoption of policies that will facilitate successful implementation of the ERP.
- Strategic Thinking;
- Problem Solving and Analysis;
- Planning and Organising;
- Project Management and Administrative Skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively with partners across the public sector and international partners.
Qualifications & Experience
- A Masters Degree in Economics, Public Policy Finance or Equivalent professional qualifications and at least five (5) years post qualification related work experience.
- Good knowledge of the public sector operations including the annual budget processes.
- Strong quantitative skills and the ability to carry out high quality economic research, including statistical analysis.
- High degree of analytical skills.
- High degree of confidentiality, judgment, understanding and tact.
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Project management experience and training would be an asset.
Salary: $3,300,000 per annum Travelling: $770,478 per annum.
We thank all for applying but please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.