The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Safety Inspector (SOG/ST 5)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the post of Safety Inspector (SOG/ST 5), in the Government Electrical Inspectorate (GEI) Division, Ministry of Science, Energy and Technology.
Under the general direction of the Director of Electricity and Chief Electrical Inspector, the incumbent ensures that petroleum safety and technical standards are observed during the process of landing, storage, transportation, handling and distribution of petroleum and petroleum products; sensitizes the public on the subjects of petroleum safety and energy conservation and efficiency measures.
- Participates in the review of petroleum standards and legislation;
- Keeps up to date with new legislation and health and safety standards.
- Implements safety program to prevent or correct unsafe environmental hazards; utilizing knowledge of industrial processes, mechanics, chemistry and industrial health and safety laws;
- Conducts ongoing assessment of the effectiveness of the Petroleum Safety Awards Programme and makes recommendations to the Health Safety and Environment Engineer for adjustment or upgrading as appropriate;
- Collects and analyzes accident and safety data from the industry and prepares quarterly and annual reports;
- Conducts regular inspections of all petrol filling stations, LPG plants/outlets, storage facilities for petroleum and petroleum products, as well as parking garages for petroleum tanker-wagons transporting petroleum products;
- Tours facilities to inspect fire and safety equipment, machinery and facilities to identify and correct potential hazards and ensure compliance with regulations;
- Inspects the premises of individuals or companies that are interested in establishing a petroleum retail facility;
- Conducts enquiries into all accidents occurring in the petroleum industry;
- Undertakes the activities of the Petroleum Vehicle Inspection Programme:
- Creates/updates safety protocols for trucks transporting petroleum products;
- Keeps records of inspections;
- Prepares weekly/monthly progress report on inspection activities.
- Undertakes the activities of the Site Audit Programme for Petroleum and Storage:
- Implements protocols for site audit;
- Creates roster for conduct of site audit on a monthly basis;
- Maintains records of site audits and prepares monthly reports.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Good interpersonal skills
- Possess high level of integrity
- Ability to exercise initiative
- Goal/result oriented
- Problem solving and decision making skills
- Good planning and organizing skills
- Good analytical thinking skills
- Good knowledge of the use of technology (relevant computer applications such as Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft AutoCAD)
- Knowledge of Public Service Regulations and Staff Orders for the Public Service
- Ability to understand and apply regulatory codes and practices in the petroleum industry
- Excellent knowledge of practices, materials and tools used in petroleum inspection
- Excellent knowledge of required appropriate safety precautions
- Ability to detect hazards and violations and recommend corrective measures
- Excellent record keeping skills
- Ability to make accurate observations
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/Natural Sciences from an accredited tertiary institution plus one (1) year related experience in Petroleum Safety or Energy; or
- Diploma in Engineering or Natural Sciences, plus three (3) years’ experience in Petroleum Safety;
- An electrician’s licence would be an asset.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Travel island wide to conduct inspections.
- Onsite safety audits in hot humid conditions.
- Conduct audits in hazardous environment.
- Work on weekends and outside normal working hours, during the week.
- Exposure to physical and verbal abuse.
- Wear safety apparel when conducting audits.
Salary range $1,087,453 - $1,292,640 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.