The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Director, Human Resource Management & Development (GMG/SEG 4)
Job SummaryThe Senior Director, Human Resource Management & Development is responsible for managing the human resource, training and organization development functions of the Ministry.
Under the direction of the Director, Corporate Services, the incumbent is responsible for managing the human resource, training and organization development functions of the Ministry by ensuring that best practices are implemented to achieve organizational efficiency and effectiveness in accordance with the Vision and Mission of the Ministry and the Government's Human Resource policies and regulations.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Provides professional advice and the interpretation of HR policies for the Ministry;
- Establishes human resource links between strategies and objectives of the Divisions;
- Establishes and describes links between corporate policies and personnel activities;
- Undertakes planning with senior staff to determine targets and goals for the activities of the Branch, ensuring standardization of accompanying procedures;
- Develops the Branch’s Strategic/Operational Plan, Procurement Plan and Budget;
- Develops Individual Work Plan based on strategic alignment with the Branch’s Operational Plan;
- Establishes and maintains various HR Committees that make recommendations for the implementation of improved HR policies and programmes;
- Represents the Ministry in meetings or on committees to examine and evaluate standards, incentive systems and HR policies and programmes;
- Directs the benefits administration of staff welfare schemes;
- Evaluates implementation of HR programmes and provides recommendations to correct weaknesses;
- Conducts periodic reviews of supervisees in accordance with their Work Plans;
- Conducts final assessments of supervisees based on performance assessment criteria and prepares performance reports;
- Develops and manages the performance of the section and its staff including transferring skills, motivating staff, setting performance targets, monitoring performance, providing feedback to staff and arranging for training.
Technical/ Professional Responsibilities
- Formulates human resource policies and procedures that guide the Human Resource functions of the Ministry in keeping with government regulations and laws;
- Directs the implementation of various procedures that support the strategic objectives of the Divisions;
- Chairs interview panels for recruits of Senior Management placements;
- Recommends and guides the development of the Ministry's grievance and termination policies;
- Promotes policies and programmes that support the retention of staff possessing the ability to accomplish the Ministry's objectives;
- Monitors the HR functions to ascertain the effects on the operations of the Branch and develops strategies for improvements;
- Manages the Ministry Delegation of Functions;
- Monitors the preparation of Quarterly reports for submission to OSC and the Human Resource Executive Committee (HREC);
- Provides guidance and support to Human Resource Consultative Committee (HRCC) that deals with infractions for staff above GMG/SEG 1 level;
- Guides the development of the Ministry's training policies and the provision of training and development for staff thereby ensuring that a skilled work force is provided;
- Oversees the restructuring and reorganization of Divisions and Units in order that improvements in the operations can be realized;
- Directs the operational reviews and studies designed to improve the workflow and processes of Divisions and Units;
- Manages the implementation and maintenance of the Performance Management & Appraisal System;
- Provides guidance to the Ministry's staff in the preparation of their Work Plans;
- Establishes the Recognition/Reward Programme;
- Provides feedback to divisional heads and recommends areas for improvements as necessary;
- Promotes/enhance harmonious industrial relations climate;
- Conducts negotiations and mediating activities to maintain good working relations.
- Good knowledge of strategic Human Resource Management
- Sound knowledge of Human Resource functions
- Sound knowledge of GOJ HR operational and legislative framework
- Sound knowledge of new and diverse training needs
- Knowledge of Organizational Development
- Knowledge of computer office applications
Minimum Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Human Resource Management, Public Administration/Public Sector Management, Psychology, Industrial Relations, Political Science or a related field from a recognized tertiary institution and five (5) years’ related experience being progressively responsible for the administration of Human Resource functions of an organization at a senior level
- First Degree in the Social Sciences or Human Resource Management or equivalent Qualification from a recognized tertiary institution and eight (8) years’ experience being progressively responsible for the administration of Human Resource functions of an organization at a senior management level.
- Industrial Relations
- Strategic Planning
- Budget Preparation
- Performance Management
Special Conditions Associated with the Job:
- Extended hours may be required to meet project deadlines.
- Physically able to participate in training sessions, presentations and meetings
- Ability to travel overseas and locally on work related business
- Ability to work under pressure, multi task and with minimum supervision
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.