The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Director, Modernization Initiatives & Strategic Projects (GMG/SEG 5)
Job SummaryApplicants are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the post of Senior Director, Modernization Initiatives & Strategic Projects (GMG/SEG 5).
The incumbent is responsible to spearhead the Ministry’s thrust in building institutional and technical capacity of vital areas of national security and provide strategic direction in the implementation of projects and special initiatives within the Ministry, its Departments and Agencies.
The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provides strategic leadership and direction in the Ministry’s development and implementation of special/major projects in the Ministry of National Security its Departments and Agencies, from project initiation through to project delivery;
- Provides reports, briefs, position papers to the Minister, Permanent Security, Commissioner of Police, Commissioner of Corrections and Chief of Defence Staff on projects being implemented and delivered;
- Advises the Minister, Permanent Secretary, Commissioner of Police, Commissioner of Corrections and Chief of Defence Staff on the available and most appropriate options to build technical capabilities; as well as procurement options available (e.g. Outright purchase of solution or the procurement of managed services); financing options; and on opportunities that may emerge for the generation of revenues and/or containment of costs;
- Initiates and conceptualizes new projects and collaborates with the Policy Directorate to facilitate the development of a policy framework for specific initiatives in order to ensure its legitimacy;
- Advises on strategic issues aimed at institutionalizing new technologies acquired, realizing the objectives of implemented projects and ensuring their;
- Identifies policy gaps and recommends policy options to the Chief Technical Director and Permanent Secretary
- Manages the Ministry’s liaison and collaboration with key stakeholders of modernization and reform initiatives to include the absorption of new technologies;
- Represents the Ministry or Permanent Secretary at national and international fora and in various inter-Ministerial collaborations and initiatives on sectoral and national bodies that have national significance to national security;
- Ensures the appropriate consultations take place and collaboration established with the stakeholders in the National Security portfolio, the wider GOJ, international partners and the private sector in order to enhance effective project implementation and realization of project objectives;
- Ensures appropriate communication and knowledge management systems are established between the Division and key entities to foster smooth, accurate and timely information sharing;
- Co-ordinates the evaluation of the efficacy of projects implemented including the assessment of performance against outcomes, and the development and implementation of remedial or augmenting measures where appropriate;
- Ensures all required processes, guidelines, systems and controls are established to enable the monitoring and assessment of project implementation objectives;
- Leads the development and implementation of the Division’s Strategic and Operational Plans;
- Ensures the timely delivery of the Division’s responsibilities to the Ministry’s annual strategic planning and budgeting processes as well as performance reviews;
- Prepares and manages the Division’s Budget in an efficient and economical manner ensuring resources are efficiently utilized;
- Manages the performance of the Team including transferring skills, motivating staff, setting performance targets, monitoring performance, providing feedback to staff, and arranging for training;
- Ensures that the Team has sufficient and appropriate physical resources to enable them to undertake their duties efficiently and effectively;
- Maintains effective working relationships with external and internal stakeholders and clients, ensuring the Team provides consistently high levels of service to them;
- Coordinates and supervises activities of supervisees to ensure completion of assignments as well as compliance with established systems and procedures;
- Excellent strategic leadership and management skills to lead senior civil servants, security forces personnel and technical consultants.
- Sound analytical and strategic thinking.
- Excellent negotiating and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication (written and oral) skills and relationship management.
- Excellent skills in financial options and scenario analysis for decision-making.
- Ability to identify and evaluate alternative business solutions and strategies.
- Sound appreciation for the workings of Government and the security forces.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate functions and their potential strategic contribution.
- Ability to manage limited resources in order to achieve challenging output targets.
- Sound personal and professional integrity.
- Strong customer orientation skills.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of the public sector, procedures, rules, regulations and processes.
- Ability to design, write and effectively communicate the requirements of complex processes to those involved in their execution.
- Excellent planning and organizing.
- Ability to manage large, multiple and complex projects involving partnership with the private sector.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports to the PS as well as external bodies.
- Good knowledge of Administrative Law
- Knowledge of data collection and ability to use data for programme planning and evaluation.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with private sector and Government departments and agencies.
- Ability to motivate subordinates thereby ensuring higher level of productivity.
- Ability to persuade in order to gain concurrence or resolve problems and gain corporation.
- Project Management
- Budget Preparation
- Strategic Management
- Risk Management
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB:
- May be required to work extended hours and on weekends
- May be required to travel locally and overseas
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Masters Degree in Management Studies, Public Administration or related field.
- At least four (4) to six (6) years experience in a senior management position in either the public or private sector, working in an organization of similar size and complexity.
- Demonstrated experience in achieving significant organizational change and improvements, and negotiating contracts for goods and services
SALARY SCALE: $3,047,373.00 - $3,622,369.00
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.