The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Senior Policy Analyst, Science, Energy and Technology (GMG/SEG 3)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidate to fill the post of Senior Policy Analyst, Science, Energy and Technology (GMG/SEG 3) in the Ministry of Science, Energy and Technology
Under the general direction of the Principal Director, the Senior Policy Analyst, Science, Energy and Technology, is responsible for facilitating and monitoring the development, implementation and analysis of Science, Energy and Technology policies and programmes in the Ministry and its Agencies and providing technical support to the Ministry and its policy, planning, development and evaluation processes.
- Conducts quality assurance on Cabinet Submissions and in collaboration with the Director, Human Resource Development, design training programmes to address deficiencies;
- Establishes and maintains excellent communication with private and public sector entities in the Science, Energy and Technology portfolios and builds stakeholder networks to facilitate the collection and exchange of intelligence and provides update on relevant issues;
- Ensures effective and proper application of the Code of Consultation in the policy development process;
- Delivers training to relevant staff in the Ministry and its Agencies to create awareness of the procedures involved in policy development, monitoring and analysis;
- Conceptualizes and leads the design of policy development and policy implementation tools;
- Monitors and prepares reports on the implementation of Cabinet Decisions and the current status of programmes and projects in the Science, Energy and Technology portfolios;
- Monitors the implementation of decisions on inter-sectoral issues and facilitates collaboration among Ministries;
- Identifies inter-sectoral policy issues, maintains close contact with sector officials, identifies areas for future integration and ensures that adequate advance planning is done
- Provides guidance on streamlining of the GOJ’s policy development, analysis and monitoring processes in the Ministry’s policy making framework;
- Leads high level stakeholder consultations to resolve policy conflicts;
- Provides advice on weighing policy options and choices in situations where there are no applicable precedents and clearly preferable choices;
- Prepares policy papers and briefs for the Principal Director on current, emerging and interrelated matters impacting Science, Energy and Technology and related portfolio matters;
- Co-ordinates the preparation and monitors the implementation of the Ministry’s Annual Policy and Legislation Programme for Science, Energy and Technology;
- Identifies Science, Energy and Technology policy matters that are lagging and propose corrective measures to the Principal Director;
- Analyses and comments on studies prepared by the Ministry and its Agencies and otherwise and provides information to assist with decision making and/or to determine the advisability of adopting new measures;
- Provides technical support to the Ministry’s policy, planning, development and evaluation process.
- Manages the welfare and development of staff through effective performance management, coaching, mentoring and training;
- Provides leadership to staff through effective objective setting, delegation, and communication;
- Ensures that direct reports are aware of, and adhere to the policies, procedures and regulations of the Division and the Ministry;
- Recommend leave, staffing arrangements and disciplinary action in keeping with Human Resource policies and procedures;
- Performs other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and people management skills
- Strong customer relations skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Problem solving and decision making skills
- Impact and influence
- High level of integrity
- Analytical thinking
- Use of technology - relevant computer applications such as Microsoft Suite
- Knowledge of the Staff Orders and Public Service Regulations
- Knowledge of Government of Jamaica’s (GOJ) policies and programmes
- Thorough knowledge of policy analysis, monitoring and implementation
- Ability to conduct research
- Analyze data and make sound and logical conclusions
- Ability to handle multiple projects and meet established timelines
- Flexibility in responding to changes in priorities and demands for work
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop staff
- Broad understanding of Science, Energy and Technology issues, and cross-sectoral issues and programmes
- Knowledge of pertinent research and analytical methodologies and ability to apply such techniques to policy issues
- Ability to establish and maintain co-operative working relationship with all segments of the Ministry, its Agencies and external Stakeholders.
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Public Administration, Technology Management, Policy Analysis, Development Studies, Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Earth Sciences, Engineering, Telecommunications Development or related fields from an accredited tertiary institution
- Specialized training in modern approaches to policy research, development and analysis; plus
- At least five (5) years’ experience in policy development, analysis and monitoring.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Extended hours may be required to meet project deadlines;
- Ability to travel overseas and locally on work related business;
- The job is substantially office-based. However, the post holder is required to attend meetings outside the office and visit entities within the Energy portfolio. Field visits may expose the incumbent to dust, noise, heat, vibration and other conditions present in energy-related operations.
Salary range $2,097,527 – 2,493,300 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.