The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Director General (SEG 6)
Job SummaryThe Jamaica Library Service (JLS) an Agency of the Ministry of Education, Youth & Information invites applications from suitably qualified persons to fill the post of Director General (SEG 6).
The Director General is the Chief Executive Officer responsible for the management of the Public Library Network and the School Library Network islandwide. The position reports to the Chairman of the Board. The incumbent will have responsibility for the achievement of the organization's operational. financial and strategic objectives and for the efficient and effective management of the organization consistent with the Jamaica Library Service Act, the Mission. Vision and major performance targets.
- Direct the development and implementation of technical and administrative programmes, policies and strategies to ensure achievement of key performance targets.
- Oversight of financial policies and procedures in keeping with government regulations including monitoring the budget and oversight of internal audit.
- Direct, monitor and evaluate the performance of Divisional Heads and Corporate Suite Staff.
- Approve recommendations for appointments, promotions, transfers, terminations.
- Masters degree in Library and Information Studies
- Postgraduate degree/Training in Management, Public / Business Administration or related discipline
- Minimum seven (7) years s successful experience in the operations and administration of a library system or related entity at the Senior Management Level
- A visionary leader
- Understanding of the current trends and issues in library services including the impact of ICTs
- Ability to work effectively with a broad range of stakeholders including Board Directors, Parish Committee Members, Senior Officers in government and non government organizations, the private sector, local and international library professionals /organizations as well as varied library stakeholders.