The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Accountant – Asset Management & Pension
Job SummaryGuyana Power & Light Inc. invites applications from suitably qualified employees to fill the vacancy of Accountant – Asset Management & Pension which exists in the Finance Division Head Office
Under the general direction of the Chief Accountant, the incumbent will be responsible for general fixed asset management within the department and management of employees’ pension records and processes. Some of the core duties of this position include but are not limited to the following key job responsibilities.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures adherence to guidelines of acquisition, maintenance and disposal of fixed assets.
- Capitalizes and ensures asset valuation are applied and recorded.
- Ensures supporting schedules of fixed assets are prepared and maintained.
- Ensures that costs of improvements and enhance performance of existing assets are capitalized.
- Update transactions (inclusive of closing procedures) to all modules of the asset management data base.
- Determine asset classification.
- Optimize asset control and inventory management processes to track accountability, identification, location and lifecycle status of assets.
- Facilitates disposal/replacement planning decisions, based on the remaining useful life, repair costs and total utilization of assets.
- Ensures a complete scheduled physical inventory of fixed assets is conducted; and reconciliation to register.
- Coordinates revaluation of asset exercise.
- Ensures all applicable reports are prepared on a timely basis.
- Ensures inventory discrepancies are investigated and resolved.
- Submits report on problems encountered in asset management (eg. Non-distribution of acquisitions).
- Facilitates the write off of damaged/obsolete assets.
- Develop, implement and modify asset management processes and procedures.
- Submits data to facilitate adequate insurance coverage of assets.
- Ensures that there is adherence to the guidelines of the existing Trust Deed and Rules.
- Assist in the preparation/revision of regulatory instruments (eg. Trust Deed and Rules)
- Coordinates the approval of investment of Pension Funds requests.
- Ensures the preparation of Actuarial Valuation data.
- Monitor the preparation of data for IAS 19 report.
- Coordinates all aspects of employees’ benefits.
- Liaises with Actuaries, Auditors, Trustees and Regulatory Authority.
- Ensures the timely preparation of monthly and annual accounts.
- Ensures that related schedules are submitted to the Trustees for the annual external audit.
- Effectively provide leadership and guidance to junior staff in the department and ensure that targets are achieved.
- Ensure office resources are efficiently used by staff, to maintain budgeted objectives.
- Adhere to Standard Line Practice Codes and Safety Rules of the Company.
- Knowledge of all relevant Regulations as it relates to Financial, Taxation and National Insurance Scheme.
- Problem Solving and Analytical Skills
- Proficiency in the use of computer software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Oracle resource planning software.
- Experience in implementation and management of integrated computerized financial systems.
- Excellent interpersonal communication.
- Time Management – the ability to meet deadlines.
- Mature and Independent personality capable of representing and taking initiative on behalf of the company.
- High level of organizational skills.
- Be conversant with the Occupational Safety and Health Act Chapter No. 32 of 1997, Electricity Sector Reform Act Chapter 57:01 of 1999, Environmental Protection Act. No 11 of 1996 of the laws of Guyana, and the Guyana Power & Light License which includes the Standard Terms and Conditions for Electric Services of March 31st-2002