The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Administrative Assistant (GMG/SEG 1)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to be assigned to the post of in the Ministry of Science, Energy and Technology.
Under the general direction of the Permanent Secretary, the Administrative Assistant (GMG/SEG 1) is responsible for the efficient day to day operations of the Office of the Permanent Secretary.
The incumbent will provide administrative and secretarial support; and communicate information on behalf of the Permanent Secretary to members of the public, stakeholders in the Science, Energy and Technology sectors; Chief Executive Officers, Heads of Agencies and other Senior Executives of private businesses and industries, regional and international agencies, to ensure the smooth and effective operations of the office.
- Ensures that all official obligations are met, by arranging senior and other management meetings, conferences and ensuring that all relevant parties are advised and arrangements are made;
- Manages administrative matters for the Office of the Permanent Secretary and makes recommendations for improvements as may be required;
- Coordinates the Permanent Secretary’s schedule and submit a printed version at the start of the workday;
- Ensures that incoming correspondence are opened, sorted, and distributed including faxes and email;
- Liaises with Private Sector Heads, Heads of Agencies and Departments to arrange meetings and other businesses on behalf of the Permanent Secretary;
- Keeps records of all deadlines that have to be met and important matters that have been dealt with, bringing them to the attention of the Permanent Secretary and interfacing with the officers and entities concerned to ensure that the deadlines are observed and the Permanent Secretary apprised accordingly of the results;
- Receives and screens incoming telephone calls to the Permanent Secretary, providing friendly and professional greeting, directing calls, taking messages as appropriate, and eliciting necessary information to allow timely and accurate responses and responds where appropriate;
- Arranges and schedules appointments for the Permanent Secretary as requested, supervising and/or ensures the preparation of materials for meetings as appropriate;
- Manages local and overseas travel arrangements for the Permanent Secretary.
- Conducts research and collates information on subject areas as directed by the Permanent Secretary in order to inform and support the decision making process; and to support the preparation of position papers, reports and briefs as required;
- Examines and quality assures documents prepared by Ministries, Department and Agencies for the signature of the Permanent Secretary;
- Provides input to queries from the Auditor General, the National Contracts Commission and the Office of the Contractor General by communicating with relevant officers in the MSET and the portfolio agencies of the Ministry and ensuring the provision of prompt and accurate information and data;
- Participates in the preparation for visits by regional and international Heads of State and other official events as required at the level of the Ministry;
- Assists in drafting Cabinet Submissions and Ministry papers, as well as, other documents as directed by the Permanent Secretary;
- Prepares routine monthly reports, and other reports as directed from time to time;
- Participates in the formulation of operational and work plans for the Permanent Secretary’s Office;
- Participates in the development, implementation and maintenance of appropriate communication, information management and records management systems that facilitate timely and accessible information from the Permanent Secretary’s Office;
- Provides support to the Access to Information activities ensuring that information leaving the Ministry is accurate and in keeping with the prescribed requirements;
- Prepares agendas, attends meetings and ensures that the minutes are taken, transcribed and distributed as required;
- Develops and maintains a well-organized filing system that permits easy reference and rapid retrieval of information;
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as may be determined by the Permanent Secretary from time to time.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Customer and quality focus
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good problem solving, decision making, planning, analytical and organizing skills
- Goal/result oriented
- Good records management skills
- Ability to record and transcribe Minutes of meetings
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments
- Ability to create, compose and edit written materials
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Research and data analysis skills
- Ability to multitask, pay attention to details
- Ability to create effective tracking and management systems and to follow up and carry tasks through to successful completion
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and conviction of purpose in unfavourable or unpopular situations
- Ability to interface with senior Government officials, both locally and internationally
- Ability to manage competing demands comfortably
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration, Management Studies, Public Administration, Administrative Management or related field from an accredited tertiary institution; plus
- At least eight (8) years’ experience in a similar capacity in an organization of similar size and complexity.
Salary range $1,348,545 – $1,602,996 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.