The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Administrative Support (GMG/AM 2)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the post of Administrative Support (GMG/AM 2), in the Department of Co-operatives and Friendly Societies (Mandeville), Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries.
The incumbent will be responsible for the provision of confidential secretarial and administrative services to the Region’s staff in accordance with Government’s Human Resource policies and the efficient and cost effective management and maintenance of the Region’s Offices and supplies.
- Ensures adequacy of Staff Welfare;
- Provides advice/guidance to all members of staff in the interpretation and application of Government policies, rules and regulations;
- Prepares and maintains personnel records for the Region’s staff;
- Ensures adequacy of Office requirements such as electricity supply, air-conditioning, plumbing, telephone and their maintenance;
- Ensures that all Office equipment, furniture and machines are in good working condition, and makes arrangement for repairs where necessary;
- Checks bills and verifies that related activities are in compliance with required standards of the Government of Jamaica;
- Participates in the Department’s strategic planning process;
- Ensures that mails and other correspondences are prepared and dispatched in a timely manner.
- Maintains the Region’s Staff List, personnel files and attendance record;
- Communicates with all levels of staffs, internal and externally in respect to staff benefits;
- Prepares reports, memoranda and letters;
- Maintains inventory of equipment and accessories;
- Maintains control of duplicate keys for the Region;
- Maintains appropriate filing system;
- Monitors the activities of the Office Attendant and Driver;
- Ensures the Region’s Office, equipment and facilities are adequately maintained and environmentally friendly;
- Ensures all bills/invoices submitted are for services rendered;
- Approves Sick and Departmental Leave for officers under direct supervision;
- Ensures safekeeping of the Imprest and cash received by the Department as revenue and the Audit and Supervision Fund;
- Prepares and submits vouchers to the Registrar to be duly authorized;
- Draws receipts for cash received by the Department and posting same to Cash Book;
- Prepares bank lodgments to the Government Non Tax Revenue Account and for the Audit and Supervision Fund;
- Maintains the ledger of Co-operative and Friendly Societies accounts for audit fees;
- Purchases stock, stationeries and goods and service required by the Department;
- Maintains Stationery Ledger re-order when agreed minimum level is achieved;
- Distributes stationery to staff upon request;
- Liaises with Registrar and Administrator in preparing Cash Flow Statement;
- Ensures that proper accounting records are kept;
- Dispatches cheques to suppliers upon receipt;
- Dispatches salary slips and travelling cheques to staff upon receipt.
- Exercises direction and control over Office Attendant and Driver;
- Ensures that staff members are aware of and adhere to policies, procedures and regulations of the Department, Ministry and Government;
- In collaboration with Administrator/Administration Support, participates in developing and implementing a succession planning programme for the Region to facilitate continuity and the availability of required skills and competencies to meet the needs of the Region;
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of direct reports, prepares performance appraisals and recommends and/or initiates corrective action where necessary to improve performance and/or attaining established personal and/or organizational goals.
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and prioritize task assigned
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good customer relation skills
- Ability to motivate, lead and work in team
- Good problem solving and conflict management skills
- Very good organizational and time management skills
- Good judgment
- Good integrity and ethics
- Proficiency in the use of relevant computer applications
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Diploma in Management Studies, Business/Public Administration, Human Resource Management or a related discipline from a recognized tertiary institution and at least two (2) years related experience;
- Sound knowledge of Public Sector Human Resource policies and procedures.
Salary range $843,432 - $1,002,576 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that we thank all for their interest, but only short listed applicants will be contacted.