The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Assistant Accountant General – Revenue and Expenditure (FMG/PA 4)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant post of Assistant Accountant General – Revenue and Expenditure (FMG/PA 4), in the Accountant General’s Department (AGD).
The Assistant Accountant General – Revenue and Expenditure, ensures the effective management of the Consolidated Fund to facilitate the timely disbursement of funds to Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs) for funding the operations and programmes of the Government. The incumbent ensures the management of the Treasury Single Account (TSA) and other bank accounts of the Government and the execution of an efficient receipt and payment system. The incumbent also ensures revenue management and compliance as per Section 15 of the Financial Administration and Audit (FAA) Act.
- Provides technical advice to the Deputy Accountant General and the Accountant General;
- Oversees the day to day management of the Treasury Single Account and its component bank accounts;
- Maintains a revenue collection system in collaboration with the Financial Resources Division, to ensure that all revenue due to the Government is collected in a timely and efficient manner;
- Maintains an expenditure payment system to ensure that all Government obligations are settled in a timely and efficient manner;
- Maintains oversight over all centralized payments and centralized receipts of the Centralized Treasury Management System CTMS);
- Manages warrant release to Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs);
- Maintains adequate records and control of recurrent and capital releases;
- Corresponds with MDAs on capital Expenditure related matters;
- Oversees the reconciliation of cash backing with budgetary releases;
- Oversees the monthly reconciliation of Warrants;
- Keeps up to date reconciliations of all TSA bank accounts;
- Ensures that the Treasury stays in good financial health by monitoring fund balances and producing detailed financial statements;
- Monitors Revenue Transit Accounts for making daily sweeps to the Consolidated Fund;
- Oversees the preparation of Statutory Financial Statements of the Government and any other statements of account required by the Minister of Finance;
- Oversees Revenue Monitoring and accounting;
- Monitors the issuance of officially approved forms bearing Treasury Numbers for use in all MDA to ensure uniformity;
- Monitors the accuracy of all receipts and all payments from the TSA and reporting to the Accountant General to ensure that that cash requirements are accurate to allow forecasting and accurate financial management and planning;
- Assists the Deputy Accountant General to prepare timely and accurate Financial Management reports, special reports, forecasts and statements on a periodic basis;
- Acts as a liaison officer between the Treasury and other Government Departments in accordance with established procedures.
- Ensures staff compliance with relevant laws, regulations, policies, procedures and Instructions governing the operations of the AGD;
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements, directs and evaluates the Unit's fiscal function and performance;
- Leads in the smooth and efficient operation of the unit through the management of daily operations;
- Establishes and implements systems for reporting of work done against stated and agreed work plans for the Unit;
- Establishes internal control processes required to manage and grow the Unit;
- Meets or exceeds unit performance targets;
- Deputizes for the Deputy Accountant General – Financial Operations as and when required.
Human Resource Management:
- Plans, organizes and directs the work of the Unit by overseeing the development of performance targets for the Unit and staff (Unit Operation Plan) based on the Divisional Operation Plan;
- Ensures that the Unit’s staff have sufficient and appropriate physical resources to enable them to undertake their duties efficiently and effectively;
- Provides leadership and guidance through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring, coaching and disciplinary action;
- Participates in the hiring of staff for the Unit;
- Recommends transfer, promotion, termination and leave in accordance with established Human Resource Policies and Procedures;
- Identifies competencies/skills gaps and collaborate with the Training and Development Manager to develop and implement Staff Development and Succession Plans for the Unit to ensure adequate staff capacity;
- Monitors job specific and environmental factors, implement and promote health and safety policies and mitigate and minimize workplace hazards;
- Monitors the performance of staff and ensure effective and objective staff performance management, through timely and accurate completion of the Staff Appraisal process, including periodic reviews;
- Ensures the welfare of staff are clearly identified and addressed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Comprehensive knowledge of Accounting practices and applications
- In-depth knowledge and experience in all areas of financial management
- Sound knowledge of how financial markets operate
- Knowledge of international Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
- Knowledge of Government Accounting
- Knowledge of banking operations
- Comprehensive knowledge of public treasury operations
- Strategic Vision: The ability to develop a clear vision of the desired future state of the Department, demonstrate awareness of and or anticipate changing environmental trends, industry opportunities and threats/risks.
- Strategic Planning: The ability to develop effective plans in keeping with the Department’s objectives, including to effectively review policy issues, determine priorities, and set medium and long term goals.
- Performance Management: The ability to align resources, systems, standards and activities to effectively, efficiently and consistently meet the goals and strategic objectives of the Department are met in a consistent, effective and efficient manner.
- Analytical Thinking, Decision Making, and Problem Solving: The capacity to analyze problems promptly, choose between alternatives, and effect meaningful solutions.
- Collaboration and Team Work: The ability to be a collaborative business leader, and an inspiring professional who shows a genuine intention to participate and work co-operatively with others in pursuit of team goals.
- Leadership and Team Building: The ability to provide vision, direction, allocate responsibilities, delegate and motivate staff in one’s team, to include leading by example.
- Change Management: The ability to maintain effectiveness in a changing environment and the willingness to respond quickly and positively to change, and to lead others through change and manage their concerns.
- Customer and Quality Focus: The ability to continuously ensure high standards of quality and service delivery to meet customers’ expectations.
- Emotional Intelligence: Possession of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and social skills – The ability to display behaviors appropriate to the AGD’s business and social environment.
- Integrity: The ability to consistently demonstrate sound ethical standards, observe the codes of conduct for employees and codes of professional practice, and show consistency between established values and behaviors, in order to build trust and credibility.
- Interpersonal skills: The ability to display sensitivity towards others, interact collaboratively with colleagues, and to build long term internal and external relationships and gain support to achieve desired objectives.
- Managing the Client Interface: Ability to work effectively with others, both internal and external to the Department, to deliver acceptable, customer-oriented and high quality service.
- Oral and Written Communication: The ability to communicate proficiently orally, in writing, and in one- on- ones face- to- face, with excellent public speaking skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Evidence of continuing professional development in Accountancy is desirable
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- A Post Graduate Degree from a recognized institution in Accounting and/or Finance or equivalent;
- A Chartered practicing Accountant and a member of a designated professional accounting body;
- At least eight (8) years’ experience in Accountancy;
- At least five (5) years’ experience working at senior management level in Accounting or Finance;
- Experience in Chart of Accounts formulation and maintenance is desirable.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Required to travel locally and internationally (this position requires up to 60% travel);
- Pressured working conditions with numerous critical deadlines.
Salary range $2,593,142 – $3,082,431 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.