The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Assistant Archivist 1 (PIDG/AR 3)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the post of Assistant Archivist 1 (PIDG/AR 3) in the Jamaica Archives and Records Department (JARD), Ministry of Education, Youth and Information
Under the general direction of the Assistant Archivist 2, the incumbent is responsible for providing research and customer service and clerical support in the Reading Room; ensuring quality service to its customers.
- Monitors the use of the Reading Room, ensuring the regulations are adhered to;
- Provides technical assistance to researchers in identifying and locating relevant records/information;
- Conducts research in response to requests and prepares information for approval by supervisor;
- Responds to enquiries directed to the Unit;
- Sorts, arranges and describes archival accumulations;
- Prepares automated catalogues;
- Replaces records in their proper locations and maintains the Repositories in good condition;
- Reproduces records in accordance with established procedures ensuring that copyright and other regulations are observed;
- Assists with public education and outreach programmes;
- Performs other related duties that may from time to time be assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Competence in the use of relevant computer softwares/programmes
- Good research skills and keen eye for detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Six (6) CXC/GCE O’Level subjects including History and English Language;
- Advanced level History would be an asset.
Salary range $754,676– $897,052 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.