The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Assistant Attorney General (JLG/LO 4)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified persons for the posts of Assistant Attorney General (JLG/LO 4), (Not Vacant) (2 posts), in the Attorney General’s Chambers.
Reporting to a Director within the Chambers, the Assistant Attorneys General will be responsible for providing legal advice and representation to the Government of Jamaica (GoJ) (including Ministries, Departments and Agencies of the GoJ), Statutory Bodies and government companies; delivering opinions on a variety of legal issues; assisting with administrative tasks in the Division and the Chambers; assisting with the management of the division and providing advice and guidance to junior attorneys.
- Provides advice on legal matters relating to the drafting and enactment of Government legislation;
- Provides to Ministries, Departments and Agencies, legal representation in the United Kingdom Privy Council, Caribbean Court of Justice, the Court of Appeal, Supreme Court, and supervising attorneys who provide legal representation in the Resident Magistrate’s Courts;
- Provides legal advice and representation to Central Government, statutory bodies and government companies;
- Represents the Government of Jamaica on the boards and panels of local and international organizations.
- Assigns such matters as the Director(s) in the Division may require;
- Assists with the implementation of projects and policies that facilitate the efficient operation of the Division and the development of the attorneys;
- Liaises with Ministries, Departments and other clients in relation to legal matters referred to the Chambers;
- Vets and approves, where required, work of junior attorneys;
- Undertakes such administrative tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent knowledge of the laws of Jamaica
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and people management skills
- Ability and willingness to lead
- Sound research and analytical skills
- Ability to analyse and interpret legal documents
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability and willingness to undertake administrative tasks
- Excellent negotiating skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Proficiency in the use of relevant computer applications
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) Degree with relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience (i.e. eight (8) years relevant working experience);
- Certificate in Legal Education.
Salary range $2,811,933 - $3,342,504 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that we thank all applicants for their interests, but only short listed applicants will be contacted.