The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Assistant Commissioner of Appeals (GMG/SEG 3)
Job SummaryApplications are being invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of Assistant Commissioner of Appeals (GMG/SEG 3) in the Revenue Appeals Division of this Ministry.
Under the leadership of the Deputy Commissioner, the Assistant Commissioner of Appeals manages appeal cases from beginning to completion. This includes hearing and investigating the disputed issues arising in the appeal between the taxpayer and the Revenue Commissioner and recommending a decision to the Revenue Appeals Commissioner.
Responsibilities and Duties include:
- Manages all aspects of the cases from assignment to completion, with the aid of the case management system;
- Performs and documents pre-hearing analysis and all preparatory work for cases assigned;
- Assesses and recommends case resolution methodology;
- Hears and investigates the submissions of both parties to the appeal;
- Summons and reviews additional evidence when necessary;
- Recommends appeal decisions and drafts notices of decisions;
- Maintains and updates case records and related documents and prepares progress reports on assigned cases;
- Serve as a resource for the Commissioner and Deputy Commissioners;
- Conducts research and consults with the Legal Counsel concerning legal interpretations, case law precedence and issues involving Natural Justice.
Required Knowledge/Skills include:
- Expert knowledge of revenue administration, including revenue laws and related precedents
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant International Principles governing Accounting, Auditing, Commerce, Customs, Trade, and Law
- Working Knowledge of investigative policies, methods and objective
- Working knowledge of judicial procedures and the rules of evidence
- Working knowledge of international taxation treatments with specific emphasis on double taxation agreements
- Excellent Negotiating and Persuading Skills
- Excellent Problem Solving and Analytical Skills
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Acuity for Objectivity and high reputation of Integrity
Qualifications & Experience:
- BSc. in Accounting/Management Studies/ LLB Degree/ACCA II or its equivalent
- Minimum five (5) years related experience in revenue audits or customs valuation.
- Salary $2,036,434.00 - $2,420,680 per annum
- Travelling $707,448.00 per annum
We thank all for applying, however please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.