The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Assistant ICT Engineer – Network Operations Centre
Job SummaryTo operate, administer and maintain Network Operations Centre (NOC) facilities in order to maintain a 99.95% uptime for the infrastructure provided by the eGovernment Agency.
- Minimum 99.95 availability of the eGovernment Agency’s infrastructure.
- Seamless collaboration and meaningful relationships between the Data Centre Services department and internal/external stakeholders and cross-functional teams.
- Up-to-date documented expert organisational knowledge of the overall make-up, status and health of the infrastructure.
- High quality communication with the Management of the Data Centre Services department on all matters relating to the eGovernment Network.
RANGE OF ACTIVITIES:
- Participate as part of the implementation team of the NOC section of eGovernment Agency.
- Responsible for the configuration of monitoring, alerting and related infrastructure..
- Ensure the availability of a suitable spares inventory.
- Hands on involvement in the operations, administration and maintenance of the NOC infrastructure.
- Collaborate with the CTO, Manager of the Data Centre Services, senior ICT Engineer and other staff to establish eGovernment Agency standards and best practices.
- Assist with the development of operating procedures and modifying procedures as needed.
- Collaborate with the Infrastructure management team on refining overall operational and project specific budgets.
- Planning and management of assigned work, in the form of independent projects
- Collaborate with the Data Centre Services team on refining overall operational and project specific budgets.
- Proactively create and maintain documentation of work performed, in accordance with the policies of the eGovernment Agency.
- Participate in cross-functional teams to successfully implement approved solutions.
- Work on multiple projects involving tight deadlines.
- Performs other related tasks that may be required from time to time to drive Divisional objectives or special project initiatives.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical / Electronics Engineering, Automation, Computer Engineering or related field from a recognized university.
- Must have technical competence in implementation and maintenance of enterprise or carrier grade NOC systems, and knowledge of business processes.
- Ability to review and validate NOC system solution components.
- Have an understanding of modern monitoring, alerting and related systems.
- Have knowledge of telemetry systems.
- Experience working with both Windows and Linux based operating systems and services.
- Quality inter-personal skills.
- Good oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to analyse problems and develop sound problem-solving models.
- Ability to exhibit initiative and to execute difficult tasks in the face of constraints and adversity.
- Ability to focus, set goals and work.
- Knowledge of computer-related technologies and practices.
- Ability to identify, gather and compile relevant technical data.
- Proactive and results oriented.
- Excellent time management skills and competence to assess priorities and manage a variety of activities in a time sensitive environment and meet deadlines with attention to details and quality.
- Ability to interact with and support end-users at various organisational levels during the different phases of the solution development or implementation life-cycle.
- Ability to participate in multi-disciplinary project teams.
DECISION MAKING, PROBLEM SOLVING AND IMPACT ON RESULTS:
The incumbent is required to make decisions consistent with established and approved designs, rules, regulations and precedence, but must exercise some original thinking and creativity in solving problems to meet set deadlines. Errors may not come to light immediately, which may impact the high availability of eGovernment Network and services, which can ultimately lead to public dissatisfaction.
- Responsible for optimising the use of the network monitoring system.
- NOC tools and learning resources in execution of duties.
- Regular written and oral communication with the following groups/persons:
- Manager, Data Centre Services
- NOC team
- Other Department Heads
In addition to normal office conditions, the incumbent is required to travel and work away from the office including hinterland and rural locations in all ten Administrative Regions. The incumbent is also required to work outside of normal office hours, weekends and holidays, and respond to emergency call-outs when necessary.