The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Assistant Maitre D
At NCL there are hundreds of ways you can be a part of our Freestyle Cruising Team. Traveling as fast as 25 knots, it's tough to have a slow day at work whether on land or at sea. So what are you waiting for? All you need to do is click below to view available opportunities and instructions on how to apply. Then it's Anchors aweigh, "Bon voyage" and "Let's get to work" all at the same time.
The Assistant Maître D’ is directly responsible for the operation and supervision of an assigned restaurant on the ship, crew mess or room service, and assisting with operations in the main dining rooms and buffet. They assist with the direction, supervision, performance, training and evaluation of all positions within the restaurant department.
- Ensure that the F&B department achieves satisfactory guest satisfaction ratings on a consistent basis.
- Always available on the floor to assist crew and to interact with guests.
- Ensure that guest complaints are dealt with in a timely, professional manner and in accordance with Company policy.
- Responsible for ensuring that assigned restaurant operates within the established revenue and expense budgetary guidelines for the vessel.
- Assist with establishing and developing a highly motivated, pro-active Restaurant team with the highest ethical standards that delivers a cost effective and quality oriented service product.
- Assist with scheduling crew members based off of guidelines established by the Corporate Office and the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Ensure that crew members are in compliance with the grooming and uniform standards of the company.
- Communicate with the restaurant staff through daily line-ups and monthly meetings.
- Facilitate continuous training to the crew members.
- Monitor the performance of all restaurant staff to ensure that their duties are carried out in accordance with Company policy, and safety and environmental regulations.
- Ensure that restaurant employee promotions/transfers are handled according to Company policy.
- Monitor restaurant crew turnover and present ideas to the Maître D’ on how to decrease.
- Ensure that assigned restaurant is maintained in accordance with Company policy, USPH, SEMS and safety and environmental regulations.
- Minimum of one year experience as an Assistant Restaurant Manager or Maître D’ in a multi-venue, high volume, luxury hotel or resort, or as an Assistant Maître ‘d, Head Waiter for a large cruise ship.
- Minimum one year experience working in high-volume banquet operations is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Office suite, Property Management Systems, Restaurant Reservation Systems, and POS Systems) are required.
- Minimum one year experience managing a multinational and multilingual staff is required. Also, must be able to teach suggestive selling techniques to staff.
- Minimum one year experience managing budgets, projections, and implementing cost control practices is required.
- Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalency in Hotel Management is required.
- Prior restaurant management experience may substitute for this educational requirement at an equivalent rate.
- Proactive, Team Player, Problem Solver
- Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
- Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
- Respect for all co-workers and guests
- Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
- Able to work 7 days a week
- Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
- Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
- Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates