The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe certified Assistant Nurse serves as a conduit between patients of the Queen’s Park Counselling Centre/Clinic and Field Clinics and their nurses and doctors.
The incumbent is required to record and communicate all issues to the assigned medical staff. Depending on the location of the clinics, other duties might include supporting patients from one area to another and setting up the treatment area and equipment at a nurse or doctor’s request.
- Provides general assistance to the Community and/or Registered Nurses assigned to QPCC&C;
- Conducts Rapid HIV testing of clients as trained;
- Assists the registered nurse in the provision of nursing care in the field clinics;
- Assists the Clinic’s supervisory staff with interviewing clients attending the clinic;
- Assists Medical Officers during examination of patients i.e. taking swab for testing, labelling etc
- Takes and records temperatures, pulse and respiration, blood pressure readings, weight and height of patients; tests urine and when required dresses simple superficial wounds;
- Observes notes and reports any symptoms, reactions, attitudes and changes in patients’ condition to trained superior;
- Performs errands related to patient care, such as collecting and delivering drugs, laboratory specimens and reports;
- Assists in the updating inventory of resource and identified needs accordingly for example: washes, dries and sterilizes thermometers, gloves and instruments;
- Prepares material and instruments for sterilization, set up trays and trolleys for nursing procedures;
- Checks linens prior to delivery to, and subsequent to receipt from the laundry to ensure that quantities correspond;
- Liaises with all members of the Queen’s Park Counselling Centre and Clinic Health team on the client’s behalf; and
- Performs other duties related to the core functions of the position as assigned by their direct Supervisor or the Specialist Medical Officer
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of principles and practices associated with nursing
- Working knowledge of record keeping methods for the documentation of patient’s information
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to earn trust and keep confidentiality
- Ability to read labels and directions for the medication and instruments
- Ability to demonstrate empathy to patients
- Ability to demonstrate a positive work ethic that supports the quality of service provided by the centre and clinics
- Ability to demonstrate problem solving skills.
- Ability to direct and lead staff engaged in the performance of support functions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to promote teamwork.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision
- Ability to interact positively with members of the public.
- Ability to use initiative to solve work related problems.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Training as evidenced by possession of a trained Assistant Nursing Certificate or its equivalent
- Enrolment with the Nursing Council of Trinidad and Tobago as a Nursing Assistant
We thank all applicants for their interest. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the positions will be contacted.