Under the general direction of the Chief Internal Auditor, the incumbent will participate in Audits by planning, supervising and performing reviews as well as special Audits of the Ministry of Science, and Technology, its external Departments/Divisions and Portfolio Agencies to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of managerial controls and the accuracy of recorded data.
- Participates in the development of the Strategic and Operational Audit Plans;
- Oversees the development of Individual Work Plans for Direct Reports;
- Plans, directs and co-ordinates the work of Direct Reports;
- Manages the performance of Direct Reports by ensuring each has an output focused Job Description;
- Liaises with Department and Agency Heads with regards to proposed Audits;
- Represents the Division at meetings and seminars as directed;
- Provides guidance/advice to team to ensure that clear goals and objectives of Audits are identified and completed;
- Documents relevant facts and information which supports the work performed and conclusions drawn so other reviewers can follow the Auditor’s logic and methodology.
- Applies internal control concepts and appropriately assess the exposures resulting from ineffective or missing control practices;
- Assesses the adequacy, efficiency, effectiveness and compliance with relevant policies, GAAP, laws, regulations and other stipulated guidelines in achieving desired objectives;
- Conducts Risk Assessment;
- Determines Audit approach, that is, plans the theory and scope of Audits;
- Prepares Audit programmes for special assignments and reviews programmes prepared by Direct Reports;
- Applies Auditing procedures and techniques in conducting operational, financial and value for money Audits;
- Verifies the accuracy of financial and other records;
- Develops or revises Audit procedures for implementing assignments;
- Performs special investigations and other assignments as instructed and prepares Interim or Final Reports;
- Reviews and signs off on working papers and draft reports for Direct Reports;
- Performs Entry and Exit Interviews, that is, discusses Audit areas and findings with relevant Managers/Department Heads;
- Provides guidance to management in the development and implementation of new and revised internal control procedures;
- Follows-up Department/Agency Heads’ responses to Audit Reports to determine whether deficiencies are corrected/improved procedures are implemented;
- Conducts special investigations/assignments as directed by the Chief Internal Auditor;
- Prepares draft reports on Audit findings stating deficiencies, makes appropriate recommendations for improved controls to enhance business efficiency and submits report to the Chief Internal Auditor;
- Assists in the preparation of Quarterly Reports for submission to the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service;
- Ensures the security of Audit files.
- Participates in the welfare and development of Direct Reports through the preparation of Performance Appraisals;
- Leads the identification and development of individual performance goals as determined by the Corporate Plan;
- Provides leadership to junior staff through effective objective setting, delegation and communication;
- Recommends training for staff to the Human Resource Division through the Chief Internal Auditor;
- Provides guidance to staff through coaching, mentoring and training and providing assistance and support as needed;
- Manages the Division in the absence of the Chief Internal Auditor;
- Ensures that junior staff is aware of and adheres to the policies, procedures and regulations of the Audit Division and the Ministry;
- Conducts Appraisal discussions with Direct Reports;
- Performs other related functions assigned by the Chief Internal Auditor from time to time.
Required knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent Oral and Written Communication skills
- Customer and Quality Focus
- Excellent Interpersonal skills
- Excellent Problem Solving, Decision Making, Planning, Analytical and Organizing skills
- Goal/result oriented
- Excellent Report Writing, Public Speaking and Presentation skills
- Excellent knowledge of Government Administration Systems, laws and policies and other instructions governing both the financial and operational aspects of the Ministries and portfolio Agencies such as the Staff Orders, Public Service Regulations, Procurement guidelines and the Financial Administration and Audit (FAA) Act
- Excellent knowledge of Accounting and Auditing standards, principles and practices
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- First Degree preferably in Accounts, Finance, Business Administration, Management or Economics, ACCA Fundamentals or equivalent and over five (5) years’ Auditing experience and relevant experience in the specialized area;
- Successful completion of relevant Government Auditing courses and Professional Audit training would be an asset.
Salary range $2,777,255 – $3,301,284 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.