The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Behaviour Change Communication Co-ordinator – Vulnerable GMG/SEG 2
Job SummaryThe National Family Planning Board, a Statutory Agency of the Ministry of Health seeks to recruit a Behaviour Change Communication Co-ordinator – Vulnerable GMG/SEG 2.
To enable individuals to attain their reproductive health goals through an integrated system of health care which provides universal access to comprehensive services in an enabling and supportive environment enhanced by multi-sectoral partnerships.
The Behaviour Change Communication Co-ordinator will be required to:
- Promotes and assists in the design, implementation and evaluation of HIV prevention strategies and other sector-wide policies, programmes and approaches contribute to an effective multi-sectoral response.
- Develops BCC strategy for the implementation of targeted interventions for vulnerable populations.
- Develops BCC strategy to effectively mobilize at least one lower income community in all regions and relevant agencies to develop specific strategies to address issues of social vulnerability.
- Develops and implements mechanisms to collect information from Sex workers on violent incidents and abuse by clients.
- Facilitates the review of work plan implementation and evaluation to ensure compliance with project objectives and strategies.
- Provides technical guidance and support to regional BCC teams and other stakeholders to develop and implement HIV prevention and family planning interventions for populations in lower income high prevalence communities and SW and MSM.
- Provides technical assistance to the HIV/AIDS coordinator and Health Promotion Officers within the Ministry of Education
- Identifies pertinent issues relevant to the vulnerable populations for research that can enhance design and implementation of HIV and pregnancy prevention interventions.
- Develops BCC strategy for the implementation of targeted interventions for vulnerable populations, specifically SW and MSM, as well as HIV Outreach Testing.
- Works with all regions, local private sector organizations (bars, massage parlours, clubs) to implement BCC interventions to increase condom access through the establishment of non-traditional condom outlets.
- Collaborates with club/bar operators to develop a supportive environment for CSW to practice safer sex and appropriate health seeking behaviour.
- Identifies key influentials in the CSW/MSM/high prevalence areas, develop specific strategy to be implemented via the regional teams to integrate these influentials.
- Identifies specific structural approaches to be developed to reduce vulnerability in the MSM population.
- Identifies and trains key influentials in the SW and MSM populations in collaboration with the regional teams as peer links and non-traditional condom and lubricant outlets to facilitate scale-up of interactions and HIV prevention interventions.
- Liaises with other agencies on operational issues adversely affecting project implementation in line ministries, CBOs, NGOs etc.
- Advises on any changes in scope, focus and strategies of the project workplans with regard to line ministries and CBOs, NGOs etc.
- Facilitates the development of educational material for use to instruct target populations on issues such as proper condom use, condom negotiation skills, STD/HIV counselling and testing and promoting health seeking behaviour (breast examination/pap smear etc).
- Conducts training workshops for service providers for the selected vulnerable populations.
- Facilitates and coordinates behavioural and HIV prevalence surveys among MSM and SW and other vulnerable groups as well as other evaluations conducted by the Program to guide future interventions.
- Performs any other related duties as required.
- Provides daily supervision, technical guidance and support to the HIV Outreach Testing and Youth Interventions Teams
- Conducts quarterly visits to Regions to monitor implementation of interventions
- Impact and influence
- Sound project planning and project management skills
- Good training and facilitation skills
- Good knowledge of Government procurement regulations
- Knowledge of sexual and reproductive health, behaviour change models and theory and Public Health
- Experience in multi-agency collaboration.
- Experience in health promotion, social marketing, coordinating health programmes
- Supervisory skills
- Experience in strategic planning and implementation
Minimum Required Education and Experience
- A First Degree in Behaviour Change Communication, Media and Communications, Health Promotion, Social Work, Community Development or other related disciplines
- Post graduate training in Project Management or related field;
- Three (3) to Five (5) years management experience in working in the field of behaviour change, communication, social work, public health, working with key populations (sex workers, men who have sex with men) and persons living with HIV and/or marginalized groups.
Specific Conditions Associated with the Job
- Fieldwork required
- May be required to work beyond normal working hours
We thank all candidates for responding, however, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.