The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Biomedical Technician I
Job SummaryThe Biomedical Engineering Technician I is required to repair, calibrate, and maintain medical equipment and devices used in health-care delivery. The Biomedical Technician I will report to the Senior Bio-Medical Technician.
Key functions & Duties:
- Tests electronic circuitry, such as transistors, amplifiers and integrated circuits.
- Assists senior technicians in performing corrective and preventative maintenance on electronic medical equipment, e.g. replacing components, taking test readings, and wiring circuits in accordance with specific instructions.
- Inspects and tests medical electronic equipment for electrical safety, using appropriate testing equipment.
- Makes minor repairs on medical electronic equipment, and assists in planned preventative maintenance and other related duties on biomedical equipment.
- Prepares work order form and submits to senior officer for verification and certification.
- Demonstrates and explains correct operation of equipment to medical personnel.
- Maintains appropriate records of repairs and maintenance.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Key knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Working Knowledge of basic test equipment, such as oscilloscope, signal generator, or frequency generator.
- Working Knowledge of electronic, electricity and electromechanical, including concepts of voltage, current, resistance, power, Ohm’s law and common electrical units.
- Working knowledge of the installation and commissioning of biomedical equipment.
- Working Knowledge of semi-conductors, integrated circuits, resistors, transformers and transistors.
- Basic Knowledge of current safety regulations and requirements.
- Ability to read and follow electronic schematic diagrams.
- Ability to use small hand tools, such as soldering irons, pliers and wrenches.
- Ability to maintain simple electronic equipment.
- Ability to prepare maintenance records.
- Ability to interpret schematic diagrams to perform effective repair and maintenance on basic biomedical equipment.
Required Qualifications, Training and Experience:
- Electrical and Electronic Technician Diploma (EEET), Mechanical Electrical and Electronic Technician (MEET) or an equivalent engineering Diploma from a recognized institution.
- Five (5) O’level passes including Mathematics, English and a Science subject.
- At least one (1) year On-The-Job training in the field of Bio-Medical equipment or a related field.