The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Biomedical Technician II
Job SummaryThe South-West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) is pleased to invite suitably qualified persons to forward applications to fill the post of Biomedical Technician II at the SWRHA.
The Biomedical Technician II is required to perform a variety of routine and complex tasks associated with the installation, calibration and maintenance of medical equipment and devices used in the treatment, diagnosis and monitoring of patients, throughout the South-West Regional Health Authority.
The Bio-Medical Technician II will report to the Senior Bio-Medical Technician.
Key functions & Duties:
- Inspects, calibrates, installs and commissions medical and related technical equipment used in diagnosing, monitoring and treatment of patients at a medical facility.
- Performs electrical safety tests using specialized test equipment to maintain patient and staff safety from electrical hazards.
- Trains medical and allied staff on the proper use and maintenance of medical devices.
- Tests, maintains, and repair electronic circuits on medical equipment.
- Tests and checks the effect of environmental factors, such as temperature, humidity and pressure on equipment.
- Consults with medical staff to ascertain if the equipment in use functions properly and safely, utilizing knowledge of electronics, medical terminology, human anatomy and physiology, chemistry and physics.
- Conducts follow-up interviews with medical staff to verify that all previously addressed problems and malfunctions were properly and satisfactorily resolved.
- Notifies user departments regarding the status of repairs and works and assist departments to obtain a replacement or loaned equipment as required.
- Maintains accurate and timely documentation.
- Keeps abreast of current standards, codes and procedures regarding safe and effective use of medical through independent and/or formal instructions.
- Maintains the proper care of spares, tools and test equipment.
- Maintains an effective working relationship with nursing, medical, administrative staff and the general public.
- Functions as a member of a team to provide efficient service delivery to all accounts within assigned areas.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Key knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Working Knowledge of electronics, electricity and electro-mechanical principles.
- Working Knowledge of test equipment, multi-meter, signal generator and frequency generator and other analyzers used in the testing of medical devices.
- Working Knowledge of current safety regulations and requirements.
- Working Knowledge of medical terminology, methods and equipment.
- Intermediate Skills in repairing, and maintaining complex electronic and electro-medical equipment.
- Ability to instruct hospital staff in basic maintenance and use of electronic medical devices.
- Ability to interpret schematic diagrams to perform effective repair and maintenance of medical devices.
- Ability to diagnose equipment malfunctions and to read and follow electronic schematic diagrams.
- Ability to use small hand tools such as soldering irons, pliers and wrenches.
- Basic Computer Literacy Skills.
Required Qualifications, Training and Experience:
- An Electrical and Electronic Technician Diploma (EEET), Mechanical Electrical and Electronic Technician (MEET) or an equivalent engineering Diploma from a recognized institution.
- A Minimum of Five (5) years O’ Level passes including Mathematics, English and a Science subject.
- At least three (3) years technical experience in a Bio-medical Engineering capacity.
- An equivalent combination of skills and experience.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s license.