The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Building, Repairs and Maintenance Manager (SOG/ST 7)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the position of Building, Repairs and Maintenance Manager (SOG/ST 7) within the Department.
Under the direction of the Postmaster General, the Building Engineer is responsible for all matters related to buildings, maintenance and repairs in the Post and Telecommunications Department island-wide.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops objectives, policies and procedures for the efficient operations of the building, repairs, and maintenance programme in consultation with the Postmaster General and the Deputy Postmaster General 1;
- Ensures that requests regarding new constructions are processed and appropriate actions taken;
- Prepares and updates annually, the Post and Telecommunications Department’s five (5) year (strategic plan) building, repairs, and maintenance plan for submission to the Ministry of Science, Energy, and Technology;
- Prepares and submits the annual budget for capital and recurrent budgets, including the cost for acquisition of property, new construction, embedment of safes and minor building repairs;
- Prepares bill of quantities for renovation of the Post Offices in preparation for advertisement for subsequent Tender process;
- Liaises with the Principal Finance Officer in the Ministry of Science, Energy and Technology to ensure that required funds are made available for payment to contractors when new construction is in progress;
- Liaises with Contractors, Architects (those private or from National Work Agency), Quantity Surveyors, Civil and Electrical Engineers during the construction process;
- Maintains constant visits to the sites to observe that standard of work being undertaken and monitors target dates and expenditure in relation to work completed to inform reports and site meetings;
- Ensures that consultants comply with design and specifications stipulated in the contract/project document;
- Discusses and decides with the Architect on any variations during construction;
- Liaises with the National Works Agency regarding financial statements and final progress reports on the satisfactory completion of the construction; facilitates the clearance of advances to projects;
- Manages the rental of private premises by the Department, undertakes inspections, obtains assessments from private valuators, liaises with the National Land Agency in brokering rental agreements, ensures space is suitably retrofitted to accommodate the operations of the office;
- Determines available space for rental in Post Offices, obtains surveys on current rental values, ensures the maintenance of monthly rental records on behalf of the Department;
- Conducts site visits to Post Offices following instances of burglaries /break-ins and makes necessary recommendations for precautions and actions to ensure that the building is secured and repairs effected;
- Directs the development and implementation of schedules for the maintenance and upgrade of buildings, grounds, furniture, utilities, elevators, machinery, equipment and signage for the Offices;
- Monitors, reviews and evaluates the performance of contracted service providers and takes the lead on improvement initiatives;
- Ensures the maintenance of a Register of all properties, owned or rented/leased by the Department;
- Prepares and submits monthly and special reports on areas of responsibility;
- Provides leadership to staff through effective setting of objectives, delegation of duties, and communication;
- Participates in the recruitment and selection of staff and recommends movement when appropriate;
- Collaborates with the Human Resource Management Unit in developing and implementing a succession planning programme;
- Develops and manages the performance of staff, including the transferring skills, motivating staff through coaching and mentoring, arranging for training, setting performance targets; monitoring performance, providing feedback to staff and initiating corrective action where necessary to improve performance;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent time management;
- Good accountability and supervisory management skills;
- Be able to work on own initiative and make informed decisions.
Qualification, Experience, & Training
- First degree in Engineering or a related field from an accredited institution;
- Knowledge of building construction, maintenance of mechanical and electrical equipment, plumbing and carpentry;
- At least 6 years of experience on the job training in the construction industry, with 3 years at the managerial level.
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.