The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Chief Executive Officer
Job SummaryThe South-West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) is pleased to invite suitably qualified persons to forward applications to fill the post of Chief Executive Officer at the SWRHA.
The Chief Executive Officer will report to the Board of Directors and be responsible for the Strategic Direction and Effective Management of Health services delivery in the south-west region. The incumbent will also be responsible for leadership of the team of senior executives and organisational oversight of all operations. This is an extremely challenging position, which requires the optimal management and leadership skills. Challenges include re-engineering of organisational systems and processes in this complex organisation to transform the Authority into a centre of excellence.
Work is carried out in the context of Governments legislation and Board’s policies.
key functions & Duties:
- The incumbent shall be responsible to the Board of the South West Regional Health Authority for the organization and management of the Authority in accordance with policies established by the Ministry, the Board and subject to direction of the Board.
- Leads the Executive of the RHA in determining the short, medium and long term goals.
- Demonstrates fiscal prudence and accountability to the Board and ensure appropriate systems and structures are in place for the effective management and control of the Authority and its resources including the employment, development, control, direction and discharge of all employees of the Authority.
- Ensures structures and systems, for the development, review and recommendation of new programmes, projects, service expansion or changes.
- Establishes mechanisms that allows for interface with internal and external customers.
- Ensures that Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for all service areas are comparable with international benchmarks.
- Ensures the establishment of efficient monitoring and evaluation (M&E) system and IT architecture to support evidence based outcomes and core business processes.
- Establishes an organizational structure to ensure accountability of all services, departments and staff for fulfilling the mission, objectives and strategic plan of the Authority.
- Provides leadership in support of the Board’s responsibility to develop and periodically review the mission, objectives and strategic plan of the Authority.
- Provides support to the Board in fulfilling its statutory responsibility of holding an annual public Board meeting.
- Develops, recommends and fosters the values, culture and philosophy of the Authority including the promotion of a good corporate image.
- Collaborates with the Ministry of Health and related health care agencies to promote co-ordination and/or planning of local health care services.
- Represents the Authority in matters of Authority business to the community, government, media and other organizations and agencies.
- Collaborates with local Government bodies on matters related to public health and disaster management in the region.
- Reports to the Board actions taken as he/she considers appropriate to meet relevant statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Leads the RHA in the negotiating process leading to the Annual Services Agreement (ASA) with the Ministry of Health.
- Prepares and submits reports to the Ministry of Health on the performance of the Authority in accordance with the Annual Service Agreement.
- Prepares and submits reports to the Board as prescribed in its policies and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Performs related duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Key Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strategic leadership and management skills.
- Working knowledge of financial, budgetary and human resources management and industrial relations.
- Ten (10) years senior management experience in a large, progressive, unionized health organization.
- Knowledge of health systems/organization processes.
- Working knowledge of legislation governing the health sector.
- Ability to diffuse anger and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to communicate effectively with multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to network within the management structure.
- Analytical skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal & media relations skills.
Required Qualifications, Training and Experience:
- Post-graduate qualifications in Health Services Management/Management or related discipline.
- Ten (10) years management experience in a large, progressive unionized health environment, five (5) of which must be at a Senior Executive level.
- Experience in public health and organisational development will be an asset.