The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
Job SummaryThe South-West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) is pleased to invite suitably qualified persons to forward applications to fill the vacanct post of Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist at the SWRHA.
The Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist is responsible for providing psychiatric evaluation and a full range of treatment interventions for emotional and behavioural problems and psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents. The Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist can prescribe and monitor medications. He/She is responsible for the planning and provision of Child and Adolescent Services for the South-West Region.
Key Functions & Duties:
- Performs comprehensive diagnostic examinations to evaluate current problems with attention to its physical, genetic, development, emotional, cognitive, educational, family, peer and social components.
- Arrives at a diagnosis and diagnostic formulation, which is shared with the patient and family.
- Designs a treatment plan, which considers all the components and discusses these recommendations with the child or adolescent and the responsible adults.
- Prepares to act as an advocate for the best interest of children and adolescents.
- Leads a team comprised of doctors, clinical psychologists and psychiatric social workers in providing a comprehensive Child and Adolescent Service for the South-West Region.
- Plans and implements health promotion activities.
- Performs related works as required.
Key knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of principles and practices of psychiatry including differential diagnosis and treatment approaches, current developments, trends and research in the medical psychiatric field.
- Knowledge of laws regarding informed consent, documentation requirements.
- Knowledge of child development and its relationship to psychiatry.
- Knowledge of substance use/chemical dependency and its relationship to psychiatry.
- Knowledge of community mental health practices.
- Ability to diagnose psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents.
- Ability to develop and monitor treatment plans and provide psychiatric treatment and management to children and adolescents.
- Ability to establish and maintain therapeutic relationships with children, adolescents, and families.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff.
- Clinically supervise licensed and professional staff.
- Excellent communication skills.
Required Qualifications, Training and Experience:
- The incumbent is required to possess a Postgraduate degree in Psychiatry.
- Training as evidenced by the attainment of a US or UK Board Certification in Child/Adolescent Psychiatry.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.