The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Civil/Structural Function Lead Engineer
Job SummaryWe are currently sourcing a civil/structural function lead engineer to join our team in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad.
The successful candidate will be required to undertake the provision of discipline engineering service and act as the focal point for the engineering activities of the discipline; they will also be responsible for management of resources, technology and the maintenance of the technical assurance of the discipline.
This position will report directly to the engineering manager and oversee 10 direct reports.
- Knowledge of and adherence to the project specific Engineering Management Systems and Procedures relevant to the role.
- Aware of technical developments, client and Wood Group specifications, industry, national and international codes, standards and legislative requirements relevant to the role.
- Demonstrates the appropriate competence level for the job.
- Is a source for guidance on a majority of discipline applications.
- Development of discipline scopes of work, estimates and schedules.
- Management of the overall contract discipline scope of work, budget, schedule and resource requirement with respect to delivery, monitoring and changes.
- Discipline focal point for the contract.
- Assisting the Discipline Function Lead as directed.
- Producing solutions that are safe, cost effective, fit for purpose and add value to both Wood Group and the client.
- Ensuring operational and maintenance issues are addressed in the design.
- Providing discipline input to procurement and construction activities.
- Conducting surveys, both onshore and offshore, to determine information to allow execution of scopes of work.
- Ensure discipline is represented at contract Design Reviews, HAZOPs, Constructability Assessments, etc.
- Communicating with Discipline Engineers and Designers to ensure design integrity and consistency.
- Resource planning to maintain adequate staff levels considering short and long term requirements of the contract.
- Following procedures for document control and discipline design, e.g. creation of discipline design deliverables, use and retention of check prints / IDC prints.
- Checking of discipline deliverables, discipline content of IDC prints and vendor documents.
- Approving of discipline deliverables, discipline content of IDC prints and vendor documents for the contract.
- Delivering the contract discipline scope of work within man-hour budget.
- Maintaining an overview of all discipline work for the contract by regular contact with Project Management.
- Liaising with client discipline representative.
- Managing increase or reduction in discipline scope of work for the contract and advising Project Management accordingly.
- Identifying areas of concern during the course of any project to Project Management while proposing necessary corrective action.
- Identifying discipline scopes of work for the contract.
- Preparing discipline CTR estimates for the contract.
- Providing input to project execution plans and schedules for the contract.
- Reporting discipline progress for the contract.
- Developing working relationship with client and supplier / vendor personnel.
- Responsible for performance appraisals of discipline personnel working on the contract.
- Perform all other related job functions as required
- First Degree in Civil / Structural Engineering (BSc, BEng)
- Typically a minimum of 12 years relevant experience
- Membership of the IStructE preferred
- Professional, chartered or registered engineering status preferred
- Second Degree (MSc, MBA) preferred
- Possesses skilled application of discipline software and tools
- Possesses skilled application of a majority of discipline applications
- Possesses skilled application in managing personnel
- Possesses skilled application in managing jobs / projects
- Assessed competent as Lead Engineer in accordance with ENG-PRC-1100
- Possesses a sound command of the English language and must be able to communicate English effectively in the field of Engineering.
The Company embraces diversity in our workforce, ensuring we have a workforce that provides us with a wide range of skills, ideas and energy. Embracing diversity means the Company will acknowledge, understand and appreciate the differences between individuals in developing a workplace that develops, benefits and enhances their value.
Selection for employment, promotion or any other benefit will be made on the basis of merit, ability and suitability.