The OECS Commission is seeking to recruit a Communications/Knowledge Management Specialist within the Communications Unit for the implementation of the EU-ACP Biodiversity Support Programme and, by extension, to serve the communications and knowledge management needs of the Environmental Sustainability Division (ESD). The Communications/Knowledge Management Specialist, under the direction of the Head of the Communication Unit, will lead the visibility, awareness, education and learning objectives of the Biodiversity programme and extend similar services to the broader Environmental Sustainability Division. This will involve the development and implementation of communications and knowledge strategies in relation with the organisation’s overall Communication and Knowledge Strategies and relevant Work plans delivered to the highest standards, while remaining aligned and integrated with the core of the ESD’s work.
In addition, the Communications/Knowledge Management Specialist will:
- work closely with the Communication Unit team, the ESD Biodiversity and Ecosystems Management Programme Director, and other relevant Programme Coordinators and Project Managers, in the development, coordination, facilitation, and implementation of mandates and work plans in relevant focus areas;
- work collaboratively with the EU-ACP Biodiversity Project, other complementary projects and the broader Commission;
- create messaging; review and edit content of communications materials to ensure content meets established communications standards and guidelines before publication;
- provide communications expertise and execution support to projects as needed;
- develop notable knowledge products for the EU’s Global Visibility Campaign.
- facilitate training and mobilization in communities and Member States in relation to all aspects of the EU-ACP Biodiversity Project, the Biodiversity and Ecosystems Management Programme and other ESD programmes; and
- Develop, maintain and leverage constructive and durable relationships with key media, journalists, stakeholder contacts and complementary initiatives.
The duties and responsibilities of the Communications and Knowledge Management Specialist, for both Project and Programme/core duties, will be to, inter alia:
- Lead and implement initiatives to communicate the activities of the EU-ACP Biodiversity Project throughout the OECS region, and to ensure high awareness of the management of biodiversity and ecosystems and its contribution to Sustainable Development in the region. The Specialist is expected to develop and implement a Communications and Public Awareness Strategy and WorkPlan for Biodiversity and other programme areas under the OECS Environmental Sustainability Cluster.
- Develop, implement and facilitate a Knowledge Management Strategy and Workplan to promote the outputs of the relevant programme.
- Support the development of and implementation of branding guidelines and securing of Intellectual Property for the relevant programmes and projects.
- Oversee and carryout the design, production, distribution and dissemination of communications and public awareness/knowledge products/materials associated with the implementation of activities undertaken under the relevant programmes.
- Coordinate and carryout the publication and/or distribution of information/knowledge (documents, newsletters, brochures, press releases and other public awareness materials) through traditional and non-traditional channels (online/virtual, social media platforms) associated with the promotion of the goals of the programme and in support of the various activities undertaken.
- Lead in developing compelling, newsworthy, politically sensitive articles, feature stories, press releases, statements, opinion pieces and multi-media content; Assist with the development of and/or ghost write pieces for others as appropriate;
- Work closely with relevant programme/project managers and the Webmaster/Digital Content Specialist to identify, elicit, research and develop powerful content for the various platforms and the media Client relationship Management (CRM) system;
- Establish, develop and maintain a working relationship with the local communities, national and regional agencies of the OECS, and the media, to ensure effective communication and public awareness associated with the various aspects of the implementation of the relevant programmes.
- Support the Project/Programme Coordinator and the broader ESD in areas related to capacity building at local, national and regional levels to ensure effective implementation of project and programme activities, particularly as it relates to the preparation of materials for workshops and training exercises, strategic press briefings and media conferences;
- Assist and support the Project Team in supervising and evaluating the performance of information dissemination and training activities that fall under the responsibilities of Technical Specialists, or other consultancies that shall be retained for specific information dissemination or training activities under the project.
- Lead the team in capitalising on the visibility and learning value of various technical deliverables and work, from planning to post-execution.
- Lead in the planning and delivery of engagement events such as exhibitions, tours, demonstrations, and capturing of content for documentation of lessons, best practices, case studies and legacy, including supporting the facilitation of dialogue with and among stakeholders
- Assist in the regular monitoring and review of execution methods related to project components and subcomponents. Provide the Project Coordinator with progress reports and projections, as required, and contribute to the development of periodic work plans and reports. In particular, assist in developing and ensuring best practices in the structure and content of such reports, with consideration to audiences.
- The Communications/Knowledge Management Specialist may be required to undertake any such duties as may be assigned from time to time in support of the implementation of the OECS Biodiversity Project, the Environmental Sustainability Programmes and other related areas.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Information Management, Knowledge Management or a related field of study.
- At least three (3) years relevant experience and familiarity with relevant stakeholders and knowledge of context of the Eastern Caribbean.
- Experience in researching and analyzing trends in media, social media and web technologies.
- Proven ability to develop and successfully implement communications strategies.
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills are essential, including the ability to present concepts verbally.
- Ability to grasp complex development and advocacy issues and to engage with (and contribute to) campaign strategies, and maintain a good understanding of the political nuances associated with effective messaging.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the media including current trends in digital media/social media and technologies influencing earned media.
- Strong competence in digital photography, videography, and other audio-visual display technologies and methodologies. Knowledge of graphics/video/desktop publishing software are an asset.
- Strong competence in life cycle management of information and knowledge according to industry standards and with latest technological trends.
- Demonstrated competence in Microsoft applications including Office Suite and Google Suite and other Electronic Document Management systems.
- Must possess excellent organisational and planning skills.
- Knowledge of the value of key regional Ecological/Biological Resources would be an asset.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment with tight, sometimes conflicting deadlines
- Fully conversant in drafting press releases, comments and blogs, contributing to media strategies and other related communication activities.
- Oral communication skills in French, Creole and other Eastern Caribbean dialects would be valued.
- Drive with Purpose and Vision - 3
- Create an Environment of Trust -3
- Build Effective Teams - 3
- Ensure Accountability -3
- Demonstrate Decision Quality -3
- Communicate Effectively - 3
The position is on a fixed-term basis subject to satisfactory annual reviews. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and exempt from income taxes. In addition to the basic salary, the post attracts other allowances. The incumbent will be eligible for membership in the Organisation’s non-contributory Group Health and Life Insurance Scheme. Reasonable relocation expenses will be reimbursed where applicable.
Only applications under consideration will be acknowledged.