The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Communications & Social Media Officer
Job SummaryThe National Education Trust (NET) is seeking to recruit qualified individuals to fill the position of Communications & Social Media Officer.
To develop, implement and manage an effective PR, Communication and Social Media programme to showcase and support the USAID/MOEYI Partnership for Improved Safety and Security in Schools Project and the interface with USAID, National Education Trust and the MoEYI to various publics and stakeholder groups.
- Communication and Public Relations plan developed for the Project in association with the PR and Communication Manager of NET.
- Contribute to the development and documentation of Communication policies and procedures for the project
- Accurate and relevant speeches, press and news releases
- Newsletters and weekly project articles
- Communication/public education materials prepared or procured as necessary
- Public education programmes in place and implemented as scheduled
- Accurate and timely technical advice
- Accurate and timely reports
Technical / Professional Responsibilities
- Develop mechanisms to respond to media requests/queries in a manner which will consistently project a positive image of NET and properly address the issues arising.
- Prepare monthly e-Bulletins and bi-weekly updates for submission to USAID.
- Monitor social, economic and political trends that may have an adverse or positive effect on the project as related to the educational sector and develops strategies to capitalize on opportunities and mitigate any negative impact.
- Assist with developing/reviewing and documenting policies and procedures to guide the communications and public relation process related to the operations of the project while ensuring compliance with USAID and GOJ and professional standards and mitigating any negative impact.
- Be aware of the administration of the Access to Information Act ensuring compliance with the guidelines and regulations for persons/bodies seeking information and referring where necessary to the PR, Marketing and Communication Manager of NET.
- Collaborate with MIS/Database Officer, Donor Unit in the management of the website; coordinate the provision of project content materials ensuring information is current, accurate and complete.
- Assist with the preparation of speeches, briefs, position papers, etc. and arrange interviews and other forms of external communication for the project, undertaking appropriate research to ensure accuracy and relevance of information provided.
- Assist in the management and coordination of the development of public education programmes to ensure the public & stakeholders are kept abreast of the activities and successes of project.
- Establish mechanisms to monitor and document media content for the print and electronic media and prepares timely responses to issues that are relevant.
- Assist in the planning and execution of formal and informal functions and other public relations events with donors/financiers/stakeholders on behalf of the project. Coordinating all the required logistics ensuring the goals and objectives are achieved.
- Collaborate with the various units/agencies in the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information which are beneficiaries of the project funding, to promote their activities
- Represent project at meetings and other fora as required.
- Performs any other related duties and responsibilities assigned by the Marketing Communication and Public Relations Manager or the Project Manager.
- Excellent planning and organizing skills with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent knowledge of public relations and communication practices
- Ability to demonstrate integrity, confidentiality and professionalism
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Working well under pressure and with limited supervision
- Excellent presentation skills
- Proficiency in the use of relevant computer applications
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills
- Sound knowledge of communication and PR methodologies to reach youth 10-29 years
- Sound knowledge of social media tools and methodologies
- Knowledge of Marketing strategies
- Knowledge of event planning
- Knowledge of the polices, rules and regulations of USAID
- Knowledge of the Access to Information Act
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the local media environment
- Knowledge of the education and security environment
- Graphic design skills would be an asset
Minimum Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Marketing or equivalent
- At least three (3) years working experience in communications, marketing or public relations
- At least 2 years working experience in Social Media Marketing and Communication
Specific Conditions associated with the job
- Required to travel locally
- Established relationship with the media would be an asset