The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe Corporate Secretary will be required to provide Corporate Secretarial Services for the operations of the Authority’s Board of Directors and designated Sub-Committees.
The officer will also be responsible for ensuring that the Authority complies with the laws of Trinidad and Tobago and maintains standards of corporate governance. He/She must have a thorough understanding of the laws that affect his/her areas of work and is required to assume responsibility for administering the support services of the Board of Directors. The Corporate Secretary must be familiar with technical and managerial terminology and is required to have a high level of competence. The incumbent must be self-confident, strong, assertive and be able to be entrusted with confidential information.
The Corporate Secretary will report to the Chairman of the Board of Directors.
Key functions & Duties:
- Providing Corporate Secretarial Services to the Board and all Board Committees which includes: (arranging and convening Board Meetings, attending Board and Committee meetings, recording minutes and decisions of meetings of the Board, maintaining accurate records of all proceedings, reviewing and preparing Notes to the Board; reviewing papers for submission to the Board; ensuring that documents are properly stored and filed; advising the Board on good corporate governance and related issues).
- Advises on the statutory requirements of the Authority as per the Regional Health Authorities Act of 1994 and other relevant legislation impacting on or related to the Regional Health Authority.
- Provides legal advice to the Board.
- Receives the Board’s registered office documents, correspondence etc. addressed to the Chairman of the Board.
- Prepares budgets for the expenditure of Board meetings, such as lodging, transportation and meals for members.
- Prepares memos, letters and other correspondence for the Board.
- Monitors and advises the Board on the necessary changes in regulatory management and legislation.
- Undertakes additional duties and responsibilities incidental to and commensurate with the corporate role of the post as agreed with the Chairman.
Key knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Must have in-depth knowledge of the Regional Health Authorities Act of 1994.
- Must possess knowledge of legal and administrative practices and principles.
- Sound understanding of the institutional and operational framework in which the Authority operates.
- Knowledge of the Health Sector would be considered an asset.
Required Qualifications, Training and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Corporate Law/LLB Degree.
- Legal Education Certificate (LEC) would be an asset.
- A Diploma in Business Administration or Management would be an asset.
- Certification at the level of Administrative Professional Secretaryship (A.P.S.)/Administrative Corporate Secretaryship (ACS) or equivalent would be an asset.
- Minimum of Five (5) years progressive work experience in law with emphasis on Corporate Secretarial Services.