The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Demand Forecasting Economist
Job SummaryGuyana Power & Light Inc. invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacancy of Demand Forecasting Economist within the System Planning and Design Department- Middle Street Annex, Georgetown.
Under the direction of the Manager, System Planning and Design, the incumbent will be responsible for developing robust and up-to-date forecasts of electricity sales and system maximum demand, as well as contributing to the process of identifying the expected detailed requirements on the various parts of the Company's network. The principal responsibilities of the Demand Forecasting Economist are:
ESSENTIALS OF THE JOB
- Provide economics-related and econometric inputs to a small demand forecasting team that is responsible for forecasting electricity sales and maximum demand for medium and long-term planning purposes.
- Manage an annual process of electricity demand forecasting for the medium and long-term – including the provision of forecasts of electricity sales, system maximum demand, maximum demands on individual substations, system losses, generation requirements and expected purchases from independent power providers.
- Identify, develop and maintain a set of suitable forecasting models – and use these models to produce the required forecasts.
- Update forecasts as and when required.
- Monitor actual sales and other out-turn performance against forecasts, identify variances and explain likely reasons for such variances.
- Collect information from within GPL (such as, for example, actual sales by different classes of customer) for use within the forecasting models; interfacing with other GPL departments to facilitate this. Identify any adjustments that are required to such data to ensure that it is consistent over time and usable within the models.
- Interface with Government agencies, private organizations and companies, and international bodies such as multi-lateral lending agencies to identify and gain access to information that can be used to construct and operate the forecasting models previously referred to.
- Provide demand forecasting inputs to GPL’s Development and Expansion plan and other planning activities including financial planning.
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned by a duly Authorized Officer.
- Possess excellent capability in economics, statistics, econometric analysis, and forecasting techniques together with experience in the application of such analysis in projecting future behaviors.
- Knowledge of utility-scale electrical networks would be advantageous, as would knowledge of electrical energy and demand behavior of different customer categories, such as industrial, commercial and residential customers.
- Understanding of electrical metering technologies, including ‘smart’ and other modern metering technologies, would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of approaches to demand-side management would also be helpful.
- The ability to work collaboratively in a small, multi-disciplinary team is essential, as is the demonstrated ability to keep abreast of developments in power economics.
- A strong capability in using MS Office applications is required, particularly MS Excel. Knowledge of software packages used for statistical and/or econometric analysis would be an added advantage.
- Must be able to give attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively (both orally and written).
- Use of Microsoft Suite
- Outstanding problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent conflict resolution skills
- Be conversant with relevant law and regulations of Guyana and GPL policies and rules
- Flexible and possess the ability to perform effectively under pressure
- Be conversant with Safety Act and GPL Safety Handbook
- Conversant with ISO Quality Management System
- Conversant with GPL Performance Management System (PMS)