The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Dental Surgeon (HPC/DS3), St. Thomas Health Services
Job SummaryTo provide Professional Dental Services in the area of specialty and in general dental practice, to supervise all categories of dental personnel below this grade, while providing guidance and specialist consultations to dental health care workers and
- Workplan Developed
- Clinical Reports completed
- Monthly, Quarterly and Annual Reports prepared and submitted
- Data Analysis Conducted
- Norms and standards developed
- Oral Health Programmes developed
- Dental advice provided
- Intersectoral Collaboration
- Inservice Training Conducted
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Diagnose and treat diseases, injuries and malformation of the oral and craniofacial complex
- Conduct examination of patients to determine nature of the presenting conditions referred for specialist management.
- Employs complex array of armamentarium in the diagnosis and delivery of oral health care
- Prescribes medicaments for the treatment of oral diseases as well as co-morbid conditions impacting on the conditions of Orofacial Complex
- Participates in the development and review of policies and strategies for the delivery of Oral Health Service.
- Assists with the development of norms and standards to guide the delivery of the Oral health Services.
- Advises on protocols and procedures for the delivery of the Dental Service.
- Participates in the development of the annual work programme and operating budget for the Dental Health Services in the Parish/Hospital.
- Participates in the development and review of monitoring mechanism to be instituted at the Parish level.
- Provides technical advice to the MO(H) and other senior members of the health team in matters pertaining to service delivery of the Dental Health Services.
- Assists with the initiation, design and implementation of research projects to guide policy and to find solutions to oral health related problems.
- Collaborates with Professional Organizations and the Dental Council in the continuous review of dental practices in Jamaica.
- Prepares and submits monitoring and non-conformance reports
- Receives, collates and analyzes oral health data received from field staff within the Parish, on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Supervises, Implements and Evaluates the Oral Health Services at the clinic or parish level
- Communicates with Parish and Regional administration concerning issues affecting the Dental Health Services.
- Acts as a resource personnel in planning and executing basic and post basic training for Dental Auxiliaries.
- May be required to act as an Expert Witness for the Court
- Can be called out for Duties in Forensic Odontology.
- Liaison with other health care professionals such as the Medical Officers of Health and the District Medical Officers.
- Keep abreast of new development through structured Continuing Professional Development
- Responsible for reviewing and auditing clinical records prepared by Dental Auxiliaries in the execution of their duties in the Government Services.
- Participates in inter--sectoral and inter-agency relations and follows up on activities.
- Represents the Profession at conferences, seminars etc which are held locally and internationally.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Dental Consultant, Regional Dental Surgeon / Director.
- Consistently displays 'High Ethical, Professional Standard' in conformance with the professional code.
- Exceptional Clinical Judgment that conform with the Professional norms
- Clinical and Administrative Reports is technically accurate, comprehensive, and complete and delivered on a timely basis.
- Monitoring visits are conducted as targeted, utilizing designed monitoring instrument.
- Advice given is effective (technically sound).
- Norms and standards developed are consistent with international standard
- Deadlines are consistently met.
- A high level of performance is consistently demonstrated
- Ability to exercise tact, understanding, initiative and resourcefulness.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others as a part of a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing and at all levels.
- Ability to apply personal work attitudes such as honesty, responsibility and trustworthiness required to be a productive employee and leader
- Time management skills
- .Good negotiating, counseling and interpersonal skills
- Good analytical and reasoning skills
- Good planning and organizing skills
- High degree of initiative
- Ability to set and maintain professional standards and maintain satisfactory working relationships.
- Computer literacy
- Sound knowledge of National I-Iealth Policy.
- In-depth knowledge of concepts, theories and techniques related to oral health
- Knowledge of the Dental Act and Regulations
- Knowledge of trends and development in Dentistry
- Knowledge of Research methodology
- Knowledge of management principles and practices
- Knowledge of cultural norms and how they impact on oral health.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with a wide
- range of professional groups and organizations, locally and internationally.
- Good inter-agency and community relationships
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Doctor of Medical Dentistry or its equivalent plus five years field experience
- DMD/DDS degree plus two yrs in General Practice Residency programme
- Postgraduate training in a Dental Specialty
- Employee must respond to emergency dental conditions
- Exposure to highly confidential and sensitive information
- To work beyond normal working hol.0
- To provide Expert Knowledge in field of specialty
- Clinical leader in his/her field
- To represent the Ministry/RHA/Parish on matters related to Oral Health
- To recommend norms and standards for dental service delivery.
- Authority to review special cases of professional misconduct when required
- Work independently and without supervision from other health practitioners
- Administratively accountable to the Senior Dental Surgeon / Regional Dental Surgeon.